• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 CARC Paint "Detailing" / Protective coating?

1SLEDHEAD

This is my first thread :cool:
I'm a huge fan of SS and appreciate the support of its members!
I have a 1999 M35A3 and have spent considerable time prepping it for road use- new fluids, brakes, repack bearings, etc., and I hope to improve the look of the paint. The finish isn't rusty or chipping, but appears dried out/dull. Obviously, a traditional clear coat wax isn't an option, but that's the type of improvement I'm looking to make.
I've done a few searches but can't seem to land on any answers. I'm hoping to for a clean, "wet"/detailed look as the colors appear darker when it's wet. Any "secret sauce" people use to "detail"/ protect the CARC paint? The paint is too nice to strip and start over, so hoping there's an easy spray on type option to get her looking sharp! Thanks for the help!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is my first thread :cool:
I'm a huge fan of SS and appreciate the support of its members!
I have a 1999 M35A3 and have spent considerable time prepping it for road use- new fluids, brakes, repack bearings, etc., and I hope to improve the look of the paint. The finish isn't rusty or chipping, but appears dried out/dull. Obviously, a traditional clear coat wax isn't an option, but that's the type of improvement I'm looking to make.
I've done a few searches but can't seem to land on any answers. I'm hoping to for a clean, "wet"/detailed look as the colors appear darker when it's wet. Any "secret sauce" people use to "detail"/ protect the CARC paint? The paint is too nice to strip and start over, so hoping there's an easy spray on type option to get her looking sharp! Thanks for the help!
WD-40 but that will attract dust/dirt over time.
Meaning that you will need to repeat the process somewhat regularly.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Fans of classic car "patina" use linseed oil applied with a rag. Maybe give it a try and see?

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Might even pick a door. Coat it and see how it looks after a week. Maybe even use @cattlerepairman 's idea of linseed oil on a door and WD-40 on another. Guessing that lacquer thinner would remove either coating if you didn't like how it worked...

1SLEDHEAD

The WD40 crossed my mind. I never thought of Linseed oil! I've heard maybe spraying it with Automatic Transmission Fluid/Acetone mix, but that sounds risky... I like the "Door Test" idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks