• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 battery drain

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I totally rewired my M37 with an NOS front harness and a made myself rear. Been driving it a lot more than usual ( usually 10 times a year, shows and rallys)

So now, it seems I have a mystery battery drain. Swapped batteries thinking they were going bad, same thing. If I disconnect the positive post, no drain (duh) if I leave it hooked up, they are low enough to not start the truck after a day. When hooking it up I can hear a spark. So somewhere it is drawing.

The only thing I can think to check is the generator or regulator. If I had a short in my wiring, it would have smoked. I have even disconnected my light switch to eliminate that cause.

Anyone else have experience with this? I have a couple of generators and one voltage regulator, but I don't know if they are good.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get arc when you connect the battery, we should be able to find the reason. I use process of elimination. Try to put a amp meter or 24 volt light bulb in series with the battery lead. You will see the current flow on the meter or the bulb will light up ( maybe dim if the draw is low) . Now start unplugging things one at a time to see if the current draw goes away. Be sure to unplug the turn signal control switch. If that stops the draw, plug it back in and unplug the flasher unit. Finding these “leaks” can take a while. If it is a very low current draw, it can be something like corroded connections. I put a disconnect switch on the negative battery connection to prevent anything from draining my batteries. Jegs sells a real nice switch for this application.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get arc when you connect the battery, we should be able to find the reason. I use process of elimination. Try to put a amp meter or 24 volt light bulb in series with the battery lead. You will see the current flow on the meter or the bulb will light up ( maybe dim if the draw is low) . Now start unplugging things one at a time to see if the current draw goes away. Be sure to unplug the turn signal control switch. If that stops the draw, plug it back in and unplug the flasher unit. Finding these “leaks” can take a while. If it is a very low current draw, it can be something like corroded connections. I put a disconnect switch on the negative battery connection to prevent anything from draining my batteries. Jegs sells a real nice switch for this application.
I have a clamp ammeter, been checking what I can that way but figured I'd ask here to maybe narrow things down.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you able to read current flow with the clamp amp meter? I don’t know if a clamp amp meter can measure DC current… It might, I just have never tried it…

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I do a lot of locomotive work so mine can read up to 600 amps dc or ac. At the positive battery cable I get like .8 amps with everything off.
This is good to know. A .8 amp load will definitely drain your batteries. The good news is, if you can measure it, you can find it. Now it’s just a process of elimination. It has been suggested that the voltage regulator has a stuck contact. If you have the stock regulator, you can simply unplug it. It was also suggested that the starter switch is the cause. I’ve never taken one apart but NDT said to take it apart and clean it. I suspect this bit of advice comes from some practical experience. You may find some green corrosion conducting the 24 volt connection to ground. This could cause a low current drain on the batteries . I would unplug the regulator first just because it’s the easier thing to do.
Be sure the light switch is in the off position ( top lever straight up). It could be something as simple as lights being left on… Ask me how I know.😜

John Mc

For those without a clamp on ammeter, you can also use a voltmeter: just disconnect the positive battery lead and connect the volt meter between the cable and the positive battery post. It won;t tell you how MUCH of a drain you have, like an ammeter will, but if you see voltage, something is draining the battery. If the voltage drops to zero, you have no drain happening (or you have a dead flat battery, which is not the case here).

You can just start disconnecting things to isolate them to see where the drain is coming from. When voltage drops to zero (if using the voltmeter as described) or amps drops to zero if using an ammeter, you have disconnected the offending load.

As NDT mentioned, the foot pedal operated starter switch is one possible culprit. If it loads up with crud, it's possible a conductive path has been made even when the switch is off. It may not be enough o turn the starter, but it could drain the battery over time. Another possible point of failure is the ignition switch. If I recall correctly, there is more than one pole to the switch. If that is correct, it's possible that it shuts the ignition off properly, but does not disconnect the gauges, leaving a slow continuous drain. (If your instrument cluster includes a working voltmeter, and it it does not drop to zero when the ignition switch is off, that's an indication that you may be powering your gauge cluster all the time.) However, without further troubleshooting, both of these are just shots in the dark.

Some troubleshooting tips If you have followed the stock wiring:
  • Ignition switch off. Voltmeter or clamp-on ammeter connected to show whether drain is happening.
  • Disconnecting wire #4 which runs from the starter to the regulator With the stock wiring, this should leave only the starter connected to the battery. If the drain is still showing, this is where your problem lies (or one of your problems, if there is more than one drain.) If there is no drain, it's probably not the starter. Reconnect wire #4 and proceed wih the next step.
  • Reconnect wire #4 and disconnect wire #10 from the regulator. (#10 feeds the circuit breakers and the ignition switch from the regulator.) At this point, only the starter, the regulator, and the generator (connected through the regulator) have any connection to the battery. (Also the ammeter, if you have one - this connects via wires 8 & 9 to the regulator. NOT to be confused with the voltmeter, which connects with the rest of the instrument cluster through the ignition switch. Not all trucks have an ammeter.) If the drain is there, your likely source is in the regulator or genrator or their associated wiring (I consider the ammeter, if it exists unlikely to be the problem, but you could disconnect it to be sure.) If there is no drain, reconnect wire #10
  • If you have stock wiring, all of the rest of the truck is fed by either the circuit breakers or the ignition switch. This ignition switch feeds both the ignition and the gauge cluster (NOTE the ignition switch does NOT feed the gauge cluster lights. They are fed by the circuit breaker which provides power to the light switch.) Wire #10 brings the power over from the regulator. Wire #11 connects that feed to the circuit breakers and the ignition switch. Disconnect wire #11 from the ignition switch. This cuts off all power feeding the switch. If the drain goes away with this disconnected, there are two possibilities: either the ignition itself was still powered even with the switch off (unlikely, since then your truck would keep running when the ignition switch was turned off), or the feed to the instrument cluster was still live.
  • If the drain is still there, even with the ignition switch disconnected, you'll need to disconnect the various circuit breakers one at a time until you see the drain go away. The circuit that makes the drain stop when disconnected is the one you'll need to trace out to find the source of the drain.
I had a problem that my ignition switch failed in the on position (non-standard wiring, using the key ignition on the Chevy S10 steering column installed by a previous owner to energize the ignition, but still using the foot pedal for the starter). I had to bypass that with a separate toggle switch until we got around to converting back to the stock ignition set up (and an original M37 steering column)

Hope some of this helps. I wrote it off the top of my head (other than double checking the wire numbers), but I think it's accurate.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I followed the stock wiring when I rewired it. I've unplugged the light switch entirely, still a drain.

The gauges do drop to zero, so does the voltage to the coil, so pretty confident the ignition switch is ok.

That leaves the regulator, or start switch.

I've been troubleshooting MVs and locomotives a long time and figured I would find it, but wanted to post here before digging further because of just what NDT did- give me a direction to look if the regulator isn't the issue.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Going to unplug the regulator this evening and see if the amps drop to zero. If they don't, I will disconnect the start switch. I have some NOS switches, so I can just swap one on and clean the old one if that's the issue.

Last edited:

John Mc

Thanks, I followed the stock wiring when I rewired it. I've unplugged the light switch entirely, still a drain.

The gauges do drop to zero, so does the voltage to the coil, so pretty confident the ignition switch is ok.

That leaves the regulator, or start switch.

I've been troubleshooting MVs and locomotives a long time and figured I would find it, but wanted to post here before digging further because of just what NDT did- give me a direction to look if the regulator isn't the issue.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Going to unplug the regulator this evening and see if the amps drop to zero. If they don't, I will disconnect the start switch. I have some NOS switches, so I can just swap one on and clean the old one if that's the issue.
My apologies if my trouleshooting post was too basic for you. It sounds as though you are rather experienced at this sort of thing. Sometimes it's hard to tell when communicating over the internet.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My apologies if my trouleshooting post was too basic for you. It sounds as though you are rather experienced at this sort of thing. Sometimes it's hard to tell when communicating over the internet.
No worries at all, hope I didn't sound like I was not greatful for your post. After all, I would guarantee someone else who really needs that kind of help will find this thread and your post extremely useful, so don't feel like your time went to waste.

And I didn't think to check the ignition switch beyond the gages going off, till I read your post. Thought that was a really good point, so I ran out and put the meter on the wire to the coil real quick, just didn't have time to do anything else. You never can tell when you'd miss something simple.

So again thank you for taking the time to break it down. It did help.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was definitely something sticking or grounding in the regulator. Unplugged it and the drain went away. Put in my spare regulator and it will sit for days and can still crank. Thanks everyone.

GopherHill

You can open the regulator and check the points. Use an ignition points file and smooth the burnt surfaces. Older Motors Manuals have information on troubleshooting and adjustment. I repaired mine in the M37 I used to have.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regulators for M-series trucks have radio noise supression capacitors in them to kill generator whine. The warranty on same is probably up after 50-some odd years.

Could be what's up in your old reg.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks