• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Brake Relining

booze_rooster

Well, I'm chewing deep into rebuilding both axles so I can get my frame back onto jack stands instead of leaning against the wall wrapped up in poly sheeting to keep the *ahem* kinetic disassembly dust from accumulating on it.

I just got the rear axle hubs torn down, everything waterboarded in the parts washer, rinsed and wiped clean. Bearing race and cone numbers written on the bags they're in for reference.

Looking at my brake shoes next.

Now a guy with money to spend can run out and toss $40-$50 at new individual shoes, but I'm interested in relining the brakes myself. I understand the concept, I have a press, a vise, a countersink set, a plethora of welding clamps and vise grips, and a can-do attitude. I know you can source modern lining material with ease. In any case I don't want to rely on an ever-shrinking world of old school mom and pop shops to handle brake relining for me every time I notice my material is worn past spec. Its both a point of pride and an old school skill I'd like to add to my repertoire.

My question is- is there a source for brake rivets for these trucks? I already cruised through VPW's catalog. No results. Before I improvise, I'm asking the experts here.

Thanks for any and all help!

OutpostM37

I had my M37 brake shoes relined by Porterfield in California. They bonded and riveted the linings to the shoes. Give them a shout for your rivet needs. The R4-S lining material helps my M37 stop sooo nice. Much better than the woven asbestos (or whatever) material used on these parts. Their number is ‭(949) 548-4470‬.
Porterfield Racing Brakes
Placentia Ave
Costa Mesa CA 92627

Attachments

murf

I had my M37 brake shoes relined by Porterfield in California. They bonded and riveted the linings to the shoes. Give them a shout for your rivet needs. The R4-S lining material helps my M37 stop sooo nice. Much better than the woven asbestos (or whatever) material used on these parts. Their number is ‭(949) 548-4470‬.
Porterfield Racing Brakes
Placentia Ave
Costa Mesa CA 92627
What did they run you ?

OutpostM37

Here is additional information on the R4-S compound for pad and shoe braking systems:
R4-S Performance Street - The R4-S shoe is designed for all types of vehicles ranging from passenger cars, large SUV’s, tow vehicles, and commercial vehicles. It stands out in a vast array of uses as a reliable high friction longer lasting brake shoe. For trucks, a shoe that adds a substantial increase in rear axle stopping power at all temperatures. On your daily driven road car it will provide both longer shoe and pad life.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks