• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 but not an M37?

Wooden_Idea_4100

Hi folks,
I recently became a proud owner of a 1956 M37 and joined the military vehicle community.
I was working on getting the brakes working, then realized that the brakes didn’t match what was in the manual. The wheel cylinder was different, brake lines, brake bleed port and the brake back plates were different as well. Further more, the differentials are centered with the vehicle instead of off to the right. A military vehicle enthusiast stopped by and said the diffs appear to be dyna 70, dyna 60’s but was unsure as what vehicle it could be from. But was suspecting a 1 1/4 ton truck possibly.
There are also 8 lug nuts instead of5 on the wheels and split rims. So nothing from an M37.
The rest of the vehicle is all M37 and matches the manual. Please see the attached photos, any clue as to what vehicle these parts came from?IMG_7541.jpegIMG_7538.jpegIMG_7514.jpegIMG_7516.jpegIMG_7547.jpegIMG_7549.jpegIMG_7548.jpeg

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if they are Dana axles and they still have the tag bolted to the cover it has a long number on it called the bom number that will give you detailed information from Dana and will break down every part in the axle including years used .

If the tags are missing there's also the same number stamped into the axle tube, it can be a little hard to find after years of grease and paint but it's there usually starts with a #6 .

nattieleather

The truck was reaxled which isn't a bad thing unless you wanted an M37 that was all original. IMHO those axles are better than the originals, but if you don't know what truck they are out of getting parts can be difficult. I'm just guessing here but I'm thinking a late 60s or early 70s dodge or chevy truck.

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll add my input because the owner (my son-in-law) has been taken up with work, a construction-caused house disruption, and a new baby. (yeah, I'm a new grandpa)...At the risk of getting off track....

The engine appears to be original, that is, a T245. It has conventional spark plugs, after market (non waterproof) distributor, and external coil powered by a 12 volt pigtail directly from one of the batteries.

As to the running gear, the transmission has the winch PTO installed...but no winch! The PTO lever is even installed up through the floor. Data tag clearly shows WO/W (without winch for those who may be unfamiliar).

Others have agreed that the installed axle set is better than the original. One area of potential concern: Because the rear differential is centered on the axle, there is a fairly significant offset angle for the rear drive shaft from the transfer case. The truck drives well, and there is no evidence of binding. Could this turn into a longer term problem?

The more immediate challenge is finding wheel cylinders without a known ID. There is a casting number on the wheel cylinders, and an online search shows good availability against that casting number, so Wooden Idea will probably go that route to start.

And, welcome to the hobby Wooden Idea! We're glad you joined!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks