• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Gear change

CGarbee

Great looking job there Ernie! Thanks for sharing.

As somebody else who has done the regear and locker bit... I'll toss in that Charles Talbert at M-Series Rebuild does a great job at setting them up as well as Bob Stahl (whom you mentioned). Charles is a couple hours southwest of me in North Carolina so the two don't compete much on work (easier to ship to the closer person).

SasquatchSanta

CGarbee Sez:

As somebody else who has done the regear and locker bit... I'll toss in that Charles Talbert at M-Series Rebuild does a great job at setting them up as well as Bob Stahl (whom you mentioned). Charles is a couple hours southwest of me in North Carolina so the two don't compete much on work (easier to ship to the closer person).
Thanks for the info. Good vendors are a valuable asset.

There are a lot of highly talented professional mechanics that visit and contribute to this site that have no problem whatsoever installing 489s and lockers. There are others like me that aren't too terribly shabby when it comes to gear work BUT are by no means pros. Most of us have to spend a lot of time with the manuals and then hope (pray) we've get it right.

When you consider how far back in the bowels of the truck the lockers reside and therefore how difficult they are to get to (especially the front assembly) if something isn't right it just makes good sense to seek professional help from the get-go. Just my 2-cents worth.

Thks

nattieleather

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to reaxle the truck with say ones out of a modern dodge 2500 or a CUCV? You'de get front disk brakes and modern gearing.

I to am looking at getting a M37 and making it highway friendly and was thinking of a modern drive train out of a new truck as the swap for engine, trans, transfer case and axles.

What are all y'alls thoughts?

Tanner

nattieleather said:
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to reaxle the truck with say ones out of a modern dodge 2500 or a CUCV? You'de get front disk brakes and modern gearing.

I to am looking at getting a M37 and making it highway friendly and was thinking of a modern drive train out of a new truck as the swap for engine, trans, transfer case and axles.

What are all y'alls thoughts?
Interesting thought - at what point does the truck cease being an M37? :wink:

Tanner
Planning the 6.2 swap now...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks