• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 in tow

nickd

Here is a picture of my M998 towing Willies M37 to the shop to fix a stuck valve in the engine. Went about 15 miles of local road driving used the medium tow bar and the LED light bar on the back of the cab for signals. Willie removed the bed for repairs while the truck was in the shop.

Attachments

70deuce

Nickd, any problems in turns. M37s seem to tow like deuces, difficult to tow because they tend to steer to one stop or the other even in a straight line. Is yours a winch model and is that a civilian towbar? Looks cool behind the 998. Great shot of the old and new.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed two M37s, one was mine and towed very well, tracking easily. The other was a friend's, it had trouble tracking when going around turns, the wheels did not want to "self-guide" and instead dragged around the turns. Not sure why the difference, but the deuce could handle towing either.

Now, what I did have trouble with, in towing M37s is, you might not think it, but an M37 is a lot of weight. And there's no brakes on it when you're flat towing it. I can say from experience, going down a steep hill in a deuce, when towing an M37, is VERY high on the pucker factor gauge. The M37 wants to push the truck down the hill A LOT.

70deuce

I recovered my M37 (without winch) with my deuce and most of the time the thing was tracking to one side or the other while going in a straight line, turns forget it. And yep you could sure tell it was back there. I'm wondering if the additional length of the winch bumper helps. My 5 ton with winch tracks like a dream while towing (except for the weight :smile:).

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed mine, some time ago, when I was running my M211, but found that if I tied the steering wheel in the M37 straight, with several bungi chords, it would eliminate problems on any corners. While it might drag a little, going around the corner, the steering was good for the straight, when you straighten out. The 211 pulled it OK, but its hard to get her to stop! The M37 is heavy!

nickd

The M37 tracked well belhind the M998. No problems with the turns. The tow bar is a military medium tow bar. I used it once to haul my deuce out of the pines when the steering box broke. I always carried a tow bar on the front bumper of my deuce. I have one of the military tow bars designed for the M998. I had no problems stopping and I am sure the power brakes on the M998 really helped. Got a lot of waves on the way. I really like the light bar. It is set up with LED lights so I can use it on my F150 for towing operations as well.

I wish I had the LED lights on the Deuce since they really last and eliminate the burned out bulb routine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks