• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 - new here hiya ... need some advise please

m376x6

The stick shift lever is B1, it has the added spring spacer on the correct side. Neither the early series M37 transmission nor the later B1 series military or civilian NP420 were synchronized in second. Only third and fourth gears had synchros. The bed has the lock tabs in the correct place. It is fun to work on a mystery by looking at pictures. Cabell has nailed most of it. I might have been remembering the couple of M715's that I have owned, they have a Borg Warner tranny don't they? I'm remembering that transmission from somewhere.

citizensoldier

Well the ACME is fully syncro 2nd to 4th and I was told the B1 trans was the same? I thought that was the reason for the upgrade from the 1st series that is only 3rd and 4th? Cabell will inlighten us for sure.. He is the M37 Gooo Rooo.... :D

m376x6

Good point, I've never worked on the Canadian version transmission and have only ever owned just one. But I have rebuilt many US M37 transmissions both early and late and they aren't synchro'd in second. :D

m376x6

I believe the pictures we use for our posts are avatars, I'm a lttle curious, Citizensoldier are you trying an "Oddball" impersonation by chance? If you're not familiar with "Oddball", please don't take it as an insult. It's a character from a movie from many years ago. I see Maddawg308 uses a picture from the movie Serenity showing Nathon Fillion holding a revolver. Some interesting pictures.

citizensoldier

I was not trying for that impression but it sure came out looking like him.. It has been discussed many times with some of the other guys.. Its my winter photo that I took for a post SS started about what we all look like.. I love it!! Negative vibes man,, negative vibes.. Great movie.. Tigers! Nobody said anything about tangling with noTigers man!...
Hey are you still making the hub protectors and the tail light guards? I sure would love a set of each..
Hows the elk hunting been?

abusafam

ok got the number of the frame...
it is
286 I 186996

NOT SO SURE ABOUT THE i IN THE MIDDLE BUT THAT IS THE ONLY OPTION I CAN THINK OF....

and sure ...the only to get the number was as with the paper n pencil trick...lol

i have been looking around for parts for this baby... but no luck ...

any other ways to convert it may be to a 6 or 8 block with auto trans...

i saw here a picture of a gamma converstion...???

thanks and have a good week end all

CGarbee

Let's try this again, I timed out on the first reply and lost everything when I had to relog in... :(

The early model M37's got fitted with the 88950, later model trucks got the NP420. Both transmission are synchronized in 3rd and 4th gear only. I've heard that one version of the NP420 that was fitted to the civilian Dodge Power Wagons (the WM300 model I think)had second synchronized as well, but you'd have to ask Dave Cirriillo (sp?) in Oregon about that one as he is the guru of Power Wagon transmissions (and my civilian truck was a B2PW126...). This might be the reason for folk's confusion about the NP420 being more synchronized then the earlier model...

Both the early and late model transmissions have a four bolt bearing retainer plate on the rear face of the case...

Easiest way to tell the transmissions apart is to look at the fill plug. The early model had the fill plug on the driver's side, the later model had the fill plug on the passenger side. (hint, shift gears if you are having problems filling your transmission as the reverse shift fork will block the fill hole in the early transmission...)

The input bearing retainer nut got swapped from left to right hand threads or vice versa, I never can remember and have to look every time I take one apart... It was one way on the early transmission, and the opposite on the later mode.

The early transmission has two shift forks descending from the cover (shift tower) with one (reverse) comming up from the case to mate with the appropriate rail in the cover. The later model transmission has all three shift forks descending from the cover (shift tower) into the case.

The gear angles changed slightly from the early to late model transmissions. According to the TM's you can't interchange PTO's, but in reality you can. There is just enough slop between gears with the correct backlash for things to work out just fine if you are mating up used components.

There are some other internal differences in oil passeges, safety wiring, etc., but if you are trying to identify the transmission by these, perhaps you should take a breather... On the other hand, if you are trying to identify parts from a rebuild kit, PM me...

The later model (B1) trucks got fitted with a longer shift lever (more length from the upper bend to the knob) in order to make shifting easier. Since you can swap levers from one unit to the other by removing a bolt, you can't go by this... I know of a lot of older trucks that are running around with newer style shift levers, and I have one buddy who makes a nice extension for those who want a longer lever but can't liberate one off a donor truck. :)

I have no firsthand knowledge of the Canadian ACME transmissions, just what I have picked up from talking to folks who have them. I do, however, have both early and late model M37's in my yard, and a collection of loose transmissions of well...

SasquatchSanta

In an entry early in this post it was stated that the later model "1B" trucks had the side door spare tire mounts.

So did some of the earlier M37s. I've got a completely stock 52 out here that has the door mounted spare tire rack.

m376x6

The easiest way for me to tell them apart is the large metal tab cast into the early style rear bearing and seal retainer at the output flange. This tab is about 2 inches tall and sticks out toward the drivers side about 3 inches. Thjis was to keep the reverse idler gear shaft in place. The NP 420 has a thin steel tab bolted directly into the case.

I have worked on many military and civilian NP 420's and have never seen one with second gear synchro'd. If you have one or know of someone who does have one, I would be very interested as this would be unique and possibly very desireable. I have found and actually have a couple of the early 88 style transmissions that were built and installed in civilian trucks. again, like the NP 420 military and civilian transmissions, they are identical internally but the cases are different. There had been some late Power Wagons that were modified at the factory to accept the slant six. these would have almost required the use of the NP 435. I believe Dave Butler discovered some in one of the desert countries. Perhaps Saudi Arabia.

I have mounted many PTO's from early style transmissions to NP 420's and have had no problems. And a few from late to early as well. The difference is in the drive gear for the PTO where it mates to the cluster gear. There is about ten thousandths in diameter and is easiily accounted for when setting the backlash using the gasket shims. Most folks don't understand the importance of backlash when installing a PTO. I had one fellow who was very proud that he had scored a winch setup and had it installed for a rediculous low price, something like $500. When the engine was running the PTO and transmssion were screaming. Seems this shop had installed the PTO with only the blue (RTV) gasket sealer. I tried to explain the situation to him, but he insisted it was a big shop and that meant they had to know what they were doing. I later heard he burned up both within a couple of months.

My apologies Lane, I no longer make the Hub Guards. I have had a few inquiries about the Marine style lifting brackets that are made to fit the composite lights I showed on my M37 6x6 in a previous post. But the time and cost to make them would mean a pretty hefty price and I just don't feel it would be worth it.

Yes Santa, the early style M37 did have a mod that sometimes was used to mount the tire on the drivers door. I believe Lane mentioned it. That's a reason we can't always depend on just that attachment to identify a B1 truck.

Bryan

citizensoldier

Anybody run his numbers yet? I have to get the book out in the shop.. And well its cold out and the fire is stoked.. Pretty sure its a B1 and this thread has been very informative.. Didnt know about the box difference. The B1 I have here now is actually a M56 B1 with a 8' bed.. That motor does look long to me but I am not sure of the picture.. I would like the head measurment and the motor #'s.. I know that Isreal changed stuff on trucks.. And some of you might remember the Isreali 251's Vintage Powerwagon purchased and sold.. Wanted to buy one of those but by the time I had the cash they were all sold..

abusafam

maxim said:
There is info on serial numbers and production dates on:
http://www.g741.org/
hiya
i try to find the numbers on the web site but with no luck...
in my search for parts here i have found 4 more m37...

gonna see em this week end...might just bring em all home if price is right...

thanks

CGarbee

m376x6 said:
Yes Santa, the early style M37 did have a mod that sometimes was used to mount the tire on the drivers door. I believe Lane mentioned it. That's a reason we can't always depend on just that attachment to identify a B1 truck.

Bryan
Interesting to note that all the early model USMC rigs that have run through my yard had the spare relocated from the bed to the side...

maxim

Ya well not to highjack this topic, but it is a wild thought and would be an option for someone who has not access to the flat head and parts such as where Abusafam is. Has anyone ever seen a slant six adapted to the m37/powerwagon?? Boy I used own several cars and trucks with them slants in them. Belvadere's, Dodge trucks.....and like Ferro says with and automatic...hmm....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks