• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m37 radiator

Poncho794

How do I get the radiator out of a 1967 m37 ? I keep taking out bolts and even the water pump, fan, gen, grill and it still won't come out. Help

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The maint manual should go step by step, the parts manual will give you an exploded view of it so you can see which bolts need to come out. I haven't pulled mine but it does look pretty simple. There's probably one little bolt hiding somewhere holding it in.

WarrenD

It is very easy. I took out my grill, then took off the fan belt, then the fan. Take off the upper and lower hoses. Next, take out the 4 bolts that hold on the front upper radiator cover, just under the hood in front of the top of the radiator. Remove the 6 bolts (3 down each side) from the sides of the radiator, they also hold the fan shroud on. You'll have to remove the shroud with the radiator and as you are pulling straight up, you'll have to tilt the top of the radiator toward the rear of the truck so the bottom of the shroud can clear the waterpump shaft.
I did it myself standing on a crate between the radiator and the bumper. If the radiator is old, it'll be heavy as it is likely full of sludge, etc. Helps to have an extra set of hands, especially on the install.

Poncho794

Thanks, I can't get to the 4 bolts on the front upper radiator cover. There is on room for any tools to get it. I think someone put it together wrong.

WarrenD

Post a pic of what you have. Bolt heads should be right there on top, can't see any other way to attach that cover.

Poncho794

I am having trouble with pic. The bolt heads are right on top but because of the back on the top cover looks like it should come off. If it does that would let me at the 4 bolts.

zout

From what I am understanding - the top cover (shroud) is held on by bolts - YES - these bolts are threaded into what is called nut zerts - there were no nuts on the bottom or lock washers - they just htreaded in. At least that is what was on the 43 and I see no difference from them for the 37.

For posting a pic - on the post screen at the top there is a while smiley face and a paperclip to the rigth of it. CLick on this and add your pictures from there and be sure they are sized correctly - wait for them to load - close that screen and submit.

:popcorn:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you are correct. There is no way to the bolts. The top cover is in the way.
So then why can't you just remove the 4 bolts that hold the top cover on, take it off and then get access to the remaining bolts?

Poncho794

I can see the bolts but, can't get to them. the back of the top cover and the top of the radiator are in the way. I wounder if some one spot welded the back of the top cover on after putting the 4 bolts in.

Poncho794

I just talked to my old first sgt That owns a radiator shop and he told that the top shroud was welded together wrong. That is why I can't get to the 4 bolts to remove. I will have to cut or drill a access to the bolts.
Thanks for all your help.
I am still working on the pics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks