• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 transmission, early vs late

rickf

I have a 53 M37 with the usual shifter issue of the shifter traveling all the way over to the passenger side to get into third gear. I am assuming (yea, I know about the word assume) that I have the early style trans with the one pin shifter support. This truck came with a transmission top cover with the later shifter with the two pin setup and the three shift rails. Can this be used on the early transmission or do I need to source an older style top?

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 53 M37 with the usual shifter issue of the shifter traveling all the way over to the passenger side to get into third gear. I am assuming (yea, I know about the word assume) that I have the early style trans with the one pin shifter support. This truck came with a transmission top cover with the later shifter with the two pin setup and the three shift rails. Can this be used on the early transmission or do I need to source an older style top?
The transmission covers are different between the two.

rickf

I went out and moved a bunch of spare parts out of the way that were stored in the vehicle and looked at the shifter that is in the vehicle and even though it is a 53 it has the later two pin shifter. I am limited in what I can do in this part of the season, my garage is not big enough to be pulling transmissions inside. But it appears I might already have the later transmission and the extra transmission top cover I have appears to be NOS, or at least it was before being stored in a bag full of moisture. So I am going to clean that up and try switching the tops and see how it works out. I found the shifter was not tight on the transmission shaft due to having the wrong bolt in it so I fixed that and it tightened up the shifting a little but it is still not right/ It will go into first gear no matter where you push up all the way over to the far right. It hits the gate and slides left into first unless you are holding tight to the right to get third. Third to fourth is also interesting as you come out of third and kind of have to come back to the left to get third and not reverse. So the top has to come off no matter what. I have driven enough old trucks and tractor trailers to be able to find my wat around loose shifters but this one is quite the challenge.

54M37

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is possible to install the later style shift cover on the early style transmission. A few small modifications must be made to the shifter though.

Reason for doing this is the later style cover provides better shifting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks