• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m38a1 family heirloom

frank1669

I recently inherited my dads M38a1 and I am planning a resto/mod on it. It has been sitting for at least 15 years, but had a new motor when parked. My plans for it are to keep it looking stock, but make it a little more user friendly. So far I have Picked up a t98 out of an early CJ-5, And a Manual Saginaw Box.

Here is what I plan on doing to it
Open knuckle Dana 30 Flanged Dana 44 rear Limited slips in both
Saginaw Steering Box
Complete 12 Volt Conversion
11" brakes Dual piston Master Cylinder
Alcan Springs with 1" of lift.
Restore exterior to original specs.

Basically I want it to look Just like a Stock M38a1 But Kick butt in the hills.

Now for a couple of Questions I have heard Canadian M38a1 had Open Knuckle Dana 30s in them Is this true? are they the same 48" width as mine or are they the same 50 inch ones in the 70s CJ-5?

Next Did the T-98 ever come stock in a M38a1 I found this on Novak adapters page "
The T98 transmission is a heavy-duty, top loading, truck style four-speed. The Borg-Warner T98 transmission was introduced in 1948 and persisted until 1964 in Ford trucks. It was installed into Jeeps starting in 1955. The Jeep T98 was a desirable, but rare option for Jeeps through 1972, as it was a special order item for civilian versions. It was more common in military versions of the CJ like the M38A1. " This is the only place I have ever heard of a 4 spd in a m38a1. Any Info Is greatly appreciated, Jerry

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Next Did the T-98 ever come stock in a M38a1 I found this on Novak adapters page "
The T98 transmission is a heavy-duty, top loading, truck style four-speed. The Borg-Warner T98 transmission was introduced in 1948 and persisted until 1964 in Ford trucks. It was installed into Jeeps starting in 1955. The Jeep T98 was a desirable, but rare option for Jeeps through 1972, as it was a special order item for civilian versions. It was more common in military versions of the CJ like the M38A1. " This is the only please I have ever heard of a 4 spd in a m38a1. Any Info Is greatly appreciated, Jerry

I feel pretty strongly that the M38A1 only had one transmission, the 3speed throughout it's entire production run. I believe that's an error on Novak's part.

frank1669

Sorry here are some picts.

Here was My last M-38a1 I rebuilta all the running gear and hat the seats redone. And my world famous Rattle can camo.

I was after my dad for a long time off and on to fix this jeep up. I tried to buy it from him a several times and He always said no. So I went out and bought my own. Turns out Father Does no best. I had 3 of my own I would fix em up, wind up needing money and sell em. So the way it worked out I still have this one. I remember the day we went and picked it up, when we put the new motor in it, the day we Cammoed it with left over house paint. I rember hunting out of it with Him and him teaching me to drive offroad. I love this Jeep :jumpin:

Dodge man

I have a '66 CJ5 that came stock with the T-98. (Special Oder BTW). It's a great Transmission for a Jeep! I love the low-low first gear! (6.28 IIRC) Coupled with the 2.46 X-fer case and 5.38 gears and it CRAWLS but will go anywhere! But the floor pan is very different since the transmission is larger and longer. Both drive shafts and PTO shafts are also different length due to the x-fer case sitting further to the rear and I think the cross member is different as well.

Re: T-98s in military Jeeps. I've read that on Novak's site and I'm sure he's wrong. I've nver seen one in a military jeep and I have the original manuals for both the M-38 and M-38A1 and both specify a three speed transmission.

Dodge man

FYI. I've heard that Jeep built some militarized versions of the CJ-5 that were called CJ-5Ms during the 60s or 70s. I wonder if those may have come with the T-98?

frank1669

Dodgeman: thanks for the heads up the T-98 I got came with drive lines,floor board, transfer case cross members and oak block spacers for in between the cross member and frame, I was told that was original.

Progress is going slow. I don't have a lot of money to throw at this right now but I will have some progress Pict's by the end of the week.

Dodge man

PS: I was looking at my CJ service manual last night and it points out the two shift levers for the x-fer case are different if you have a T-98. I THINK I remember someone saying that there are issues with the standard levers hitting the dash board and/or being too hard to reach when used with a T-98. IIRC they just rebent thier's to make them fit properly. There's loads of information about swaps such as this and other modifications over on the early CJ5 website. You might want to check it out Early CJ5.com > Forums

modified

FYI. I've heard that Jeep built some militarized versions of the CJ-5 that were called CJ-5Ms during the 60s or 70s. I wonder if those may have come with the T-98?
designations:
M-606 (12v converted CJ-3B chassis)
M-606A1 (12v converted CJ-5 chassis)
M-606A2 (24v converted CJ-5 chassis)

most of these were surplus commissioned to overseas governments and Foreign use predominately in Canada, Turkey, Netherlands, India and throughout S. America

I'm quite certain the t-98 was standard on Canadian M606A1...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks