• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 gear box noise help!

pockersUK

Ok - my clutch went on way to a show in July
Whilst there I purchased a new clutch (pressure plate & disc) , and managed to take engine out, fit new parts then engine back in (all in the middle of a field!!) old disc was well worn

however now when clutch pedal is pushed in & a gear is selected i get a metal on metal squeal/grind,
it gets worse/faster when i press accelerator.
If i select neutral it disappears.
Noise doesn't happen all the time but usually on slow stop start traffic.
It didn't make this noise before I replaced clutch

any one any ideas as to what I've done to it? or what to start looking at?
I've checked the gearbox fluid level & have topped up

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the noise only happen when the clutch pedal is depressed? If so, I would suspect there is a problem with the clutch release bearing. Did you replace it or possibly damage it? If you did not have free play in the clutch pedal then the bearing has been running constantly which will wear them out quickly and can cause clutch slipping.

pockersUK

Didn't replace the bearing (guess I should) not aware if it got damaged . Yes it only happens when pedal is depressed,
Can it be replaced without removing the engine do you know?

m38inmaine

No it can't. You may be able to unbolt the transmission and slide it back enough to replace the bearing but the input shaft has to come back far enough to slide the bearing off.

dmetalmiki

No it can't. You may be able to unbolt the transmission and slide it back enough to replace the bearing but the input shaft has to come back far enough to slide the bearing off.
Naughty that, You should have changed all the other related parts at the engine out stage. Good practice. I was going to remind you of that, thought Alex might have!..but I was sidetracked. Check for free play at the pedal though first.

pockersUK

Checked the free play and it's as per the manual
I was ill advised at the time regards replacing - oh well engine out it is
I seem to remember the bearing seemed pretty stuck in place - is there a technique in removing it?
Also is there anything else I should replace while I got the engine out ?

m38inmaine

The bearing should slide freely on the input shaft, you can also replace the return spring on the bearing if it has one and see if any oil is leaking out by the input shaft and if so change that seal.

zout

Don't forget the pilot shaft bushing. If its an oillite type bronze bushing and its never been replaced you might as well now.

pockersUK

Hi
ive taken the floor plates out & taken off the inspection plate to the bell housing
The noise is definitely coming from the disc

it looks like its either vibrating or is off centre

Unfortunately i replaced it in a field at a show and it was all a bit rushed

Engine coming out again soon in better conditions

Stupid question time
if it is in backwards have i ruined it? & will i need a new one
Whats the correct torque settings for the disc?
How do i replace the throwout bearing ie how to i get the old one off & the new one on?

thanks in advance

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the disc was backwards you probably have damaged the springs and retainers on the hub if it has them and may need to replace it. Also check the flywheel for damage. Drive or press the old bearing off the carrier and press on the new one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks