• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 oil leak from Clutch Bell

Sarah

Hi Guys,

We have just picked up our first M38A1, driven it for 70 miles (stopping every 20 miles to check everything) and discovered a significant oil leak coming from a tapped hole at the bottom of the Clutch Bell. The threads seem very clean but oily. I would be grateful for any advice as if there should be a threaded plug in there and also where might the oil be coming from.

We would much appreciate any help with this.

Regards,

Sarah

Boatcarpenter

Welcome aboard Sarah,
I'm not a "jeeper", but I would surmise that the tapped hole is to put a plug in for fording operations and that the oil is coming from a rear main seal. I'm sure the jeep experts will correct me if I am wrong.
BC

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to agree with Boatie, I think that is probably a rear main. The Operators Manual for the Jeep should cover whether there is a fording plug for the bellhousing.

Let's see some pics! And welcome to SS!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The fording plug was normally kept in the map box (Glove Box) and was installed whenever fording operations were anticipated. There should be no oil etc in the bell housing.

If it's oil.....rear seal (likely). If it's gear lube (highly unlikely), input shaft seal

Should be easy to tell...oil smells... well like oil...gear lube smells....well...yuckey

Sarah

Hi Guys,

It is the hole for the fording plug.

We will be changing all the oils at the weekend and seeing exactly how much oil we are using. Could you suggest what type of oils to use? Also are the air and oil filters replaced, like modern cars, or are they just removed and cleaned out? We are waiting for the manuals to arrive.

Thanks for the help. I understand that if I need to replace the seal at the back of the engine then its an engine/clutch/gearbox/transfer box out job, oh no!!!

Anyway this is our M38A1 below:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks