• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 springs and shackles

Bent Bolt

1971 M38A1

I am getting ready to put my Jeep back together soon. Body and frame are finished. So I start looking at my springs and shackles and have a question. They are military ( obviously ) style steel screwed in bushings into the frame but the spring eye's don't appear to have the matching thread. Am I missing something or are they metal to metal ( steel bushing to spring eye )?

Thanks for any help,

Kevin

Bent Bolt

The screw on bushing threads onto the shackle through the spring eye. The spring eye is not threaded.
I don't remember anything in the spring eye. Just seems odd as the bushing will move within the eye making noise and no apparent way of greasing it once assembled. Greasing the shackle will only put grease within the shackle and bushing , not bushing and eye.

Thanks

Kevin

wilfreeman

Just seems odd as the bushing will move within the eye making noise and no apparent way of greasing it once assembled.
The shackle bearing is not a very tight fit - I would call it loose as far as tolerances are concerned. So YES, it might create a little noise especially if the spring eyes are worn. The pivot point is supposed between the shackle and bearing, not the bearing and spring eye.

Greasing the shackle will only put grease within the shackle and bushing , not bushing and eye.
Correct - the pivot point is between the shackle and shackle bearing, not the bearing and spring eye.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin , please be aware that the CDN 3 is a very different animal to any US M-38A1, this includes the spring shackles, I advise you get yourself a parts book for the Canadian M-38A1 cdn3,
regards Frank