• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Top

Kcdan4th

Need help. Not sure what I have. It appears to be a military issue” Arctic Top”. Never seen one until now. What little I’ve learned, I googled. Are they rare? Are they unique? Are there millions around??? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!!
Pics attached. Thanks!!!

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you do indeed have an Arctic enclosure for a M38A1. That is unique for the M38A1 and is quite rare. I once bought an entire CJ-5 just to get the military Arctic enclosure that was on it. Most people that do military restorations do not install these however. So demand for them is light.

Kcdan4th

Yes you do indeed have an Arctic enclosure for a M38A1. That is unique for the M38A1 and is quite rare. I once bought an entire CJ-5 just to get the military Arctic enclosure that was on it. Most people that do military restorations do not install these however. So demand for them is light.
That makes sense. Jeeps look better with a cloth top. This Jeep came in a package deal with a CJ3B, which is the Jeep I wanted. Already have an M38A1. I didn’t like the top and almost left the plywood doors. Never dreamed that wood doors were correct! I didn’t realized what was here until I looked up the manufacturer for the top. Now I guess I’ll keep the A1 and have one with a top! Thanks for your response!!!

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where you live that top may not be a big deal. Up here in Michigan it could turn a summer jeep into a four season jeep. All kidding aside, I’m glad you caught this and now know it’s value. It imposable to know how many of these tops went to the scrap pile.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Random thoughts and personal opinion on these tops: I think Uncle bought a lot of these back in the early 60's but they just sat in warehouses and were never installed. When they were surplused (knocked down in a crate), they were sold by surplus dealers to mainly hunters that wanted some weather protection for their hunting Jeeps such as the M38A1 or early CJ-5s. I will agree that the plywood doors are a bit comical. The design including the doors was an adaption of the M38 Arctic top, which itself was an adaption of the MB-GPW (WWII JEEP) Arctic top.

JEB

Put on the top and paint it in Army with Alaskan unit markings or USAF.
The Air Force had a bunch of bases up north back then and their security forces ( "Air Police" back then) had most of the AF Jeeps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks