• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1?

gomer86

Well ok im new here so hey to everyone. my family and i are into Jeeps big time. ive wanted to find an M38A1 for awhile and what happens to pop up in my neighborhood for sale you guessed it. a 1955 M38A1 military issue. its got some rust kinda bad in some places. he had all the running gear gone through and redone alond with brakes and a new carb. heard thing run and it sounds great. hes askin 2000 but told me to make an offer...dont know what its worth so if you have any help or suggestions plz reply thanx

poppop

Welcome aboard!!! Can't do you much good on the value but depends on how bad the rust is and where. These jeeps had frames, so is all that still strong. Surface rust on body panals can be treated and painted. Holes can be patched or panals replaced. Maybe some of the M38 guys will speak up.

gomer86

well thanx guys im in cherokee county. its mostly cosmetic from what i see and yea its the floor pans and the rocker panels below the doors. the back floor pan is just surface rust and the same as for the rest of the jeep mostly hood. and it is def military issue and origanlly had the snorkel setup so im hopin this could turn into some fun. :)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have 5 Jeeps in the family right now three of them are projects and from those years the steel was thicker than anything from 1960 and later. Even the early 60's were pretty heavy but rust on them had to be really hard core to rust thru. I have a 1962 CJ 5 that I can still walk on the hood without denting it whereas my Suburban dents if I look at it too hard. I have even stick welded old body panels using very thin rods and low amperage. The good thing about the old ones is if the metal is sound you can use Rustbullet to stop the rust and make the truck like new. If the truck runs I would be willing to go up to $1500 for it as long at the rust had not made holes in the frame. We had an old M38 A1 on our farm in Illinois and the old 6V waterproof distributer was it's week point. My Grandfather switched it over to 12 V and a standard distributer to keep it running and it was my favorite thing to ride in as a kid.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard Gomer!

I have a M38A1 I got for $400 and had it running that night, but it also has major body rust issues and someone hacked the fenders, ect.

If it runs and drives and is mostly complete, $1500 is fair I would say.

David, are you sure it was a m38A1? I thought they were all 24volt from the factory...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks