• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m4 sherman radial engine question

earnie

the early m4 sherman had a r975 radial engine

my question is how did they overcome hydrostatic lock

on radial engined aircraft you would have to hand prop them through to check for this , and if it existed you would have to pull the spark plugs out of the lower jugs to drain the oil , how was this dealt with on these vehicles

hydrostatic lock = when a radial engine has been shutdown the residual oil left in the crank case not removed by the oil pump runs down into the lowest point on the engine usually the lower cylinder, and if not taken care of can wreck an engine
how was this problem dealt with
thanks

Westech

CPL
That is what they do.. if you have ever seen a Early Sherman started they insert a hand crank in the rear of the tank and crank it over a bunch. It sounds like a boat trailer winch crank.

vtdeucedriver

That is what they do.. if you have ever seen a Early Sherman started they insert a hand crank in the rear of the tank and crank it over a bunch. It sounds like a boat trailer winch crank.
This also goes with the Early Stuart tanks with the W670............do also note that if you use the starter with Mags off, the starter will not turn a "locked" engine either. Hense why you count blades on aircraft on start before turning mags on.

I will go back to my desk that has some "Pieces" of what once held one of our cylinders on our Wright. :(

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one and only radial that runs at the Museum is in one of the Priests. We have to go turn it over every few months. I'd like to make it run, but I know nada about radials. If I was to bone up on them there are a few other vehicles that could be brought back the living world.

vtdeucedriver

The one and only radial that runs at the Museum is in one of the Priests. We have to go turn it over every few months. I'd like to make it run, but I know nada about radials. If I was to bone up on them there are a few other vehicles that could be brought back the living world.

If you want, Send me a E-mail at vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com
I will find someone close by that has some radial exp to stop and give some pointers.
I certinly would if I was closer, not that I would not over the phone if need be. :)

msehring

We run radials all the time, you have to hand crank them at least 50 times if they have set idle for a few hours or more. great motors, very reliable.