• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M45a2 brake problem.

Jess lynch

I have truck that is making no sense to me regarding the brakes. The guy I got it from said the brakes needed to be bled so I had a friend of mine help me who used to do brakes on buses. We started on the passenger side rear and worked our way forward from the master cylinder as required. By the time we got the driver's side front dual it got stiff like the brakes were fully bled but hadn't gotten the the fronts yet. The brake pedal will not budge at all. I do not have a power bleeder so we were doing it the old fashioned way. I can get fluid out of the bleeder off of the airpac with the brake pedal no problem. Even with air pressure built it's not working. I put in a new master cylinder thinking that was it but no go. Any thoughts on why I m not getting any brake fluid past the airpac to the brake lines?

Jess lynch

What is the condition of your rubber lines? Have you changed anything else on the system?

Depending on which air pack you have the kits are readily available and it is not too difficult.
Just the master cylinder. All the brake cylinders were getting fluid out until everything locked up at the pedal. The wheels all move freely with nothing hanging up. Just no pressure to the brakes.

Jess lynch

The airpack can fail and cause all wheel lock up. With the brakes pumped/ locked up, try opening bleeders on airpack and see if brakes release to narrow it down. Rebuild manual here https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/air-pack-rebuild-manual.118450/
The wheels aren't locked up. I bled the the airpac and the pedal still won't go down.If I bleed it at the airpack in to a bottle I get fluid out and the pedal will go to the floor it's only after I closed the bleeder at the air pack that it locks up again. So would you say the airpac is the problem somewhere?

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like an airpack problem. Sometimes a rubber line can collapse internally and cause similar problems.

Might be a good time to go thru the system. You already changed the master.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the same bleed routine as the Early Deuce? I think we bled the airpak first but our TM covered the steps real clear. The Early Deuce brakes can be bled and set without building air pressure. The TM's should be here. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forums/the-deuce-tms.113/

There was also some dual system TM but if the M45 has a single MC then this won't help. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/deuce-dual-brake-system-tm.90155/

We also had the style of airpak that would take a squirt of air-tool oil in the big canister to help lube things up.....every 6 months. A solid brake pedal is usually solved by cracking a line unless it's hung up on an O-ring or broken. I haven't seen a lot of M45's so post pics when you can and welcome aboard. There are a few fire-trucks for sale and parts listed so getting parts must be reasonable.

Jess lynch

Sounds like an airpack problem. Sometimes a rubber line can collapse internally and cause similar problems.

Might be a good time to go thru the system. You already changed the master.
Yes. I put a new one in thinking that was the problem. I get fluid out of the bleeder on the airpac if I push on the pedal. After I close the bleeder the pedal wont budge.

Jess lynch

Is that the same bleed routine as the Early Deuce? I think we bled the airpak first but our TM covered the steps real clear. The Early Deuce brakes can be bled and set without building air pressure. The TM's should be here. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forums/the-deuce-tms.113/

There was also some dual system TM but if the M45 has a single MC then this won't help. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/deuce-dual-brake-system-tm.90155/

We also had the style of airpak that would take a squirt of air-tool oil in the big canister to help lube things up.....every 6 months. A solid brake pedal is usually solved by cracking a line unless it's hung up on an O-ring or broken. I haven't seen a lot of M45's so post pics when you can and welcome aboard. There are a few trucks for sale and parts listed so getting parts must be reasonable.
The m45a2 is pretty much a m35a2 but the m45a2 didn't come with a bed. It was up the the military branch to decide if they wanted a flat bed cargo or fuel body and so on. The mirrors are different is the only thing I can see.

jeepin

The wheels aren't locked up. I bled the the airpac and the pedal still won't go down.If I bleed it at the airpack in to a bottle I get fluid out and the pedal will go to the floor it's only after I closed the bleeder at the air pack that it locks up again. So would you say the airpac is the problem somewhere?
Yes, I would take apart/inspect the airpack and since it was apart rebuild it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks