• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M46A2C Brutus lives on

Jeepsinker

You need to use grey " gear oil" silicone. Permatex makes it and it says "gear oil" on the blister pack. Other silicones just don't hold up to gear oil very well.

TB58

Jeepsinker- the trip from Alaska was just over 5000. That took June-September. Since getting to Nc I spent a month at JRTC. The rest of the time my daily commute has been around 5 miles. Also looked at my first recorded fill up, and Im at 8980 since then.

The original cork plug is still in there, I also put some RTV between the nut and seal.

The gear oil RTV is something I learned about while working on the truck. The guy at Napa in California told me about it. I was thinking I had bought into a gimmick, good to know it is a real thing.

Rustystud-I used new bearings and races. As far as I can tell both seals seated correctly. I was as careful with the hub when I installed it and donth think I hit the inner seal. It is hard to tell how tight the seal is against the sealing surface, new seals and new races so neither should be worn down. I think I will pull it apart and try your torquing technique. By seal mounting surface you mean the non rotating metal part if the seal not the rubber moving part right? If so the. Yes I put a small bead of the grey RTV in there.

I agree with your last statement, once I figure out what I am doing wrong I will be able to avoid it and possibly help some one else making the same mistake.

I will try to remember to take lots if pictures while we do the heads this weekend, and If I find anything of note in the hubs Ill take pictures of that too.

rustystud

TB58 you have the right attitude ! Things happen and we just have to deal with it. I'm constantly telling that to my son who just wants everything to be perfect now ! We all know that life is messy at best ! and at worst is just a B!tch ! I hope your problem is easily solved though.

Jeepsinker

Do not reuse the cork. Throw it away and just fill the keyway with silicone. When you slide the outer bearing on, make sure the inside of it is clean and grease free. After you slide it on, make sure that you fill the space between the bearing and keyway with silicone again. Then slide the seal on and put a little more silicone around the keyway area, then put the rest together.

TB58

Trust me rusty, I've had fantasies about a road flare in the fuel tank many times. As satisfying as that would be for a little while, it wouldnt get me any further down the road.

When I get to pulling the hubs back apart I'll ditch thr cork and just use RTV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks