• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51 - Found one. Questions now?

Jermyjudge

So I have been looking for a truck to use around my farm and found what I believe to be an m51. The data plate says mack and it has a 6 cylinder gas engine. Is the rest of the drive train the same as the later trucks? Should I stay away from it? I searched this sight and Google and I don't see much about these trucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

red

Your tcase and axles are the same as the m809 series trucks so no worries there. You either have the direct drive transmission, or the spicer 6453 overdrive transmission (same as 809 series). Both are reliable.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6602 is a great, powerful engine, but will burn a good bit of gas. These gas 5 tons are getting quite old, so expect issues with the torque rod ends, brake hoses, driveline seals, etc. For limited farm use, you can't go wrong with one of these if you know how to do your own repairs.

sandcobra164

I love the sound of a good running 6602 and luckily get to hear one running strong once a year. A member on here brings his M51 winch truck to the GMVR each year and I get to ride in it from time to time. He goes through the rough stuff, winches stuff out on occasion and blazes new trails via chainsaw and willing helpers on occasion. That engine as equipped is very thirsty and air limited. He has a ton of work in making it a daily driver for regular use, what amazes me on top of it is the cosmetic work he has done to the truck. It looks brand new and he doesn't even flinch a bit if he backs into a tree. He shuts it down, locks his brake, and places his Stetson hat on the seat. On the way out of the cab, he grabs a pair of worn leather gloves and gets to work. He is in my opinion, an expert on the 6602 and goes by the screen name Dumpster. He mostly lurks on the forum but he is a wealth of information on your truck.