• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51 Sprag Replacement

jasonjc

Well to update, another 12hr day on this project, got to say I think I have an understanding of a sprag now.

took a couple of steps back today before working it out, I managed to install the main gear upside down , figured that out after not being able to draw the housing up all the way, or so I thought.

Had to disassemble the shaft assembly, was having trouble getting it apart and took a snap ring holding half of the sprag in place, that did two things, it allowed me to slide the outer collar off, but the sprag separated just enough that one of the springs fall out of place.

Hour or so later, got a technique figured out and all the pieces back together.

Turns out the shaft was deformed enough that it made it difficult to pull off and down right impossible to re-install,

I was slow to figure that out, was not until I had given up on installing the unit as a whole and taken Lovetofix suggestion that I could install the gear assembly by itself cutting the weight down making it easier to handle.

After putting the gear assembly onto the transfer case, I could see that it was the shaft that was binding, I had noticed that the shaft had some wear and had used a grinder to smooth it some, apparently not enough though

I got more aggressive with the grinder and that did the trick!

After that the sprag assembly slid right on, I got most of it back together, will install drive shafts tomorrow and should finish.

Got a few pictures of it View attachment 815685View attachment 815685View attachment 815685View attachment 815686View attachment 815687View attachment 815688View attachment 815689Gear on backwards View attachment 815686View attachment 815687View attachment 815688View attachment 815689

Did you have any trouble getting the spring back on??? Mine is not wanting to stay down in the grove. I get one side in and the other pops up.

M51clueless

Did you have any trouble getting the spring back on??? Mine is not wanting to stay down in the grove. I get one side in and the other pops up.
Yes I did, the spring got tweaked just a little but that was enough to keep it from staying in the grove. I finally gave up on that spring since I had one from the old sprag that was not miss formed. That did the trick for me. Hope it helps

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks