• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2 transfer case linkage

akexc

I have a 1961 M51A2 that I cannot get to stay in low range. If I take out in first in low, if I put any acceleration to it, it pops out of gear. I think it is not getting shifted all the way into gear.

There is a link connected directly to the piston coming out of the transfer that has a U on both ends with a solid shaft in between. I'm concerned that it is not the right one. It was changed out by the guy I bought it from, and shows it has been ground on. It hits the frame when I put the shift lever in low.

Sorry, don't know the right name. I have all? the documentation on this site for this vehicle, but cannot find this part/linkage shown anywhere.

Does anyone know if this should be and adjustable link, or if not, what the actual length of the link should be.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks.

akexc

My problem is that when the shift lever is all the way down in low, the link next to the transfer case hits the frame in front of it. No amount of adjustment is going to bring it further forward, if that is what it needs.

I'm concerned that the link installed is not the right length.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove one of the link pins, pull the transfer shift rod all the way forward until it clicks into the detents, then drive the truck to see if it still pops out. If it does not, you need to change the link length. If it does, there is a problem in the transfer case.
Regards Marti

akexc

Great minds think alike.

I did just that yesterday. Actually took the tunnel cover off and messed with it from above.

Cannot get it to stay in low with the the shift rod in any position.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be inside the case?

Thanks.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you feel the rod lock into a detent when you shift it forward? If not, the detent might be bad, broken spring. It is under a hex plug, consists of a ball, plunger, and spring. take the plug out and the spring is the first thing you will get out of the hole. If that is not it, you might have a loose fork on the shift rod, or there is a problem with the teeth on the gear or synchronizer that allow it to pop out. There is a bearing inside the gear at the synchro also that might be bad. Someone might have damaged the teeth by not having the synchro fully shifted when they put power to it. For any fo these problems, you will have to take covers off the case to try to see the problem, or take it out of the truck and disassemble it, which you might have to do to fix it anyway. Careful-VERY heavy!!
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks