• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52 dump

Ryant

So I’m pretty new to the 5 ton world. I got this from a friend, said He ran it for a bit and then parked it, he thought it might be leaking fuel into the oil, and it smells like fuel, he parked it and when to start it again and wouldn’t start, he thought the injection pump might be bad but he never kept messing with it. Long story short I got it and started messing with it and was just gonna try to get it running to see if it would be worth my time, there’s a 24v electric pump on top above fuel tank, and I pulled the suction hose from the pump into a 5 gallon can of good fuel but never took the return line off from the tank into the good can, it would smoke and want to fire while giving it a huff of starting fluid but never actually got it running.I was chasing air forever on the return side on tue top of the plastic injector lines. Now I have a bunch of questions reguarding fuel, I watched a bunch of Deuce and guns videos and Tatical repair videos on these but just want more info than what they gave, I pulled both fuel tanks off since they were both full of bad fuel and rust, does there still need to be a in tank fuel pump that feeds the 24v electric pump? None of the wires were hooked up to either side of the tanks when I got it. I’m just looking to get it to run to know wether it’s really worth my time

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it's very helpful that the electric lift pump works to prime the system after filter changes.
Suggest you do the following if you are in the early stages of keep vs get rid of decision process. Get a 5 gallon can of diesel and a new electric pump and feed diesel directly into the edit: primary secondary fuel filter. Change those all filters as well. Next verify the fuel cut off lever inside the injection pump is free to move. Many threads here on doing this. Then try to crank it.

Last edited:

Ryant

Yes it's very helpful that the electric lift pump works to prime the system after filter changes.
Suggest you do the following if you are in the early stages of keep vs get rid of decision process. Get a 5 gallon can of diesel and a new electric pump and feed diesel directly into the secondary fuel filters bolted on the engine. Change those two filters as well. Next verify the fuel cut off lever inside the injection pump is free to move. Many threads here on doing this. Then try to crank it.
thanks for the reply! So now my next question is, the line that was originally hooked into the tank goes to single fuel filter housing like right behind the tire on the drivers side, is that the primary? It feeds to injection pump, when I was trying to start it before I had cracked all the injectors and was getting fuel but still air bound.

Ryant

Suggest you do the following if you are in the early stages of keep vs get rid of decision process. Get a 5 gallon can of diesel and a new electric pump and feed diesel directly into the secondary fuel filters bolted on the engine. Change those two filters as well. Next verify the fuel cut off lever inside the injection pump is free to move. Many threads here on doing this. Then try to crank it.
There’s also a small line that goes from the drivers side tank to a T fitting that the 2nd take goes to and then goes up around the firewall back to into the frame somewhere, is that a return? And is it ok to plug off the side the second tank was on or does that need to stay open, I can get more pics if it helps

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the reply! So now my next question is, the line that was originally hooked into the tank goes to single fuel filter housing like right behind the tire on the drivers side, is that the primary? It feeds to injection pump, when I was trying to start it before I had cracked all the injectors and was getting fuel but still air bound.
I told you wrong earlier, the temporary fuel supply needs to feed the primary filter behind the tire not the secondaries on the engine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, forget about the right tank for now. That is a transfer tank and the electric pump above it pushes fuel to the drivers side tank. It's not part of the no start equation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks