• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m52 tractor questions.

ida34

I am considering trying to get an M52. Is there any way to tell from the outside if it is powered by the Mack or the LDS? I know the designation is supposed to tell but that info I do not have. Do they have the front air brake connections for towing like the 800 series and the 900 series? Is that what the front connections are for? Anyone tow one with a deuce? I figured it would be ok as long as I could get the brakes to work on the M52. I am at work on dial up. I will download the manuals and do a search when I get home. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck

acetomatoco

The A1 would be the Mack...but outwardly look the same...maybe the air cleaner hookup?? Transmission is overdrive...unlike the MF. Yes, it would have the glad hands in front. Not many around for sure.

ida34

Are the glad hands for working the brakes while towing? Hooking the back of the deuce air to the front of the M52 air to actuate the m52 brakes when the deuce brakes are applied. I thought I heard that the M52 was air over hydraulic not full air brakes.

vtdeucedriver

A1 and A2's are the same looking outside. Only way to tell is pop the hood and look at the motor. There will be a very large tube that crosses over the top of the motor to where the multi does not have this. Maybe Brandon AKA AMGeneral will run out and pop the hood and take a pic for you.

vtdeucedriver

Yep I guess I could have answered that but I got wrapped up in posting pics of my M52A2.

Here is another pic of her with the yellow headlights on. About ready to kick out to the TTP.

Attachments

AMGeneral

Ok,here's a few quick ID points for the Mack engine,All views are expressed from sitting in the drivers seat.

The Mack will have the injection pump,seconday fuel filter,power steering pump and air compressor on the right hand side of the engine,The multifuel will have em all on the left hand side.

The Mack will have the alternator/generator on the left side,The Multifuel will have them on the right,just like a Deuce.

As Jeff said,the Mack will have a 3 inch diameter tube crossing over the top of the engine from the turbo to the intake,plus the turbo itself will be much higher up on the side of the engine vs the Multi.

The Mack and Multifuel will have the starter on the left side,but the Mack will have a crossover throttle linkage like a gasser truck.

In short,if this ID's this truck as a Mack powered unit.....BUY IT!!!!!! You WILL be impressed by the power vs a Multifuel!!!!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Overall is the Mack the king or is the old gasser capable of better pulling? I know the milage is better with a diesel but just wondering as I am waiting to work on the gasser M52 I have sitting and home and want to measure it ( I know unfairly) against the M818 I will be getting.

ida34

I guess I should have been more specific. The pics I have are from the outside. I have no way to take a look at the engine. If I did I would know the diff. I was hoping for a small difference in the aircleaner or the exhaust. I will have to assume a multifuel and jump for joy if it happens to be a Mack. I appreciate all the input.
I am hoping it will run then I can tow the deuce back instead of towing the truck with the deuce. Thanks for the pics too. I am going to call the place tommarow and see if they can give me anymore info.

AMGeneral

To be honest David,I've never driven a gasser 5 ton,But in comparing numbers will give you these specs,

R6602 Continental
224 hp ,504 ft/lbs torque

ENDT 673 Mack
211 hp ,610 ft/lbs torque

NHC 250 Cummins
240 hp ,685 ft/lbs torque

In my expierence I find the Cummins kinda "gives out" when it really has to pull at highway speeds,but it still has a LOT of bottom end grunt,probably due to the really wide ratio between transmission gear ranges.
The Mack really seems to pull hard across the whole RPM range,it's easier to start in the cold vs the Cummins. This is just a few observations from me,hopefully someone else will chime in and give their opinion.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks I am really excited about the M818 and getting to run the Cummins all the way home. I think my M 52 was running too rich when I hauled the M 127 with it and I will be adjusting that fuel flow when I get home in March. Those figures show sort of what I expected as the diesels have the torque value pegged. I am quite sure that high torque for the gasser is at almost 2800 RPM and that is WOT sucking gas like a teenager sucks down Red Bull. I am looking for a way to safely get better milage out of that old beast without burning the valves anyone with experience or tips please chime in.

m139h2otruck

I could be wrong, but I think the gasser's torque hits its max at about 1800-1900 rpm. However, you have to drive it like a Detroit to get the best performance. Have lugged ours down to about 1100-1200 in high or 4th and it still keeps pulling.

citizensoldier

Did you get it?

ida34 said:
I guess I should have been more specific. The pics I have are from the outside. I have no way to take a look at the engine. If I did I would know the diff. I was hoping for a small difference in the aircleaner or the exhaust. I will have to assume a multifuel and jump for joy if it happens to be a Mack. I appreciate all the input.
I am hoping it will run then I can tow the deuce back instead of towing the truck with the deuce. Thanks for the pics too. I am going to call the place tommarow and see if they can give me anymore info.
Sounds like you are hot on the trail.. Did you get it? I assume maybe after you asked to barrow Pauls tow lights... :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks