• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 desert tan spray paint?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Is Krylon Camo Sand Ultra Flat the closest (and cost effective) spray paint option for painting rims to match my old M51a2? Thanks!

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks. I am planning on using behr house paint for the truck when I re paint it. Will that be durable for the rims?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can that be sprayed with an airless spray setup or requires HVLP? Did you primer first?
It's water based, so easy prep/clean. I pressure wash my truck with a concrete bit the first time to blast any loose stuff off ,that REALLY worked on my M715:
20230126_104653.jpg

Then, depending on if the primer/paint is still there (as it was on the M715) I will spray it with an airless sprayer from Lowes. No mixing etc needed.

20230126_173147.jpg

20230128_173743.jpg

And the best part is: it's water based. If I screw up, I pressure wash it clean before it dries, let the water dry, then shoot it again.

Also, it doesn't take DAYS to dry. Depending on the weather, it's an hour or two tops without the need fpr a special heater etc.

Also, using the same brand of paint and sprayer, I did my interior. (The floor is roll on bed liner).

20230320_161059.jpg

Let me know if you need some more help! I love passing on my "lessons learned" to help others!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That turned out phenomenal! So the m51 has a bit of rust. Think pressure wash, hitting it with a pump sprayer full of ospho is good enough then paint?
View attachment 911228
I would hit it with the concrete bit, use a scraper or something to get rid of the flake paint/rust, spray on the rust treatment, prime those areas with self etching primer (Autozone, 12.00/can)
then spray.
Screenshot_20231122_142017_Chrome.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Concrete bit? I think I am going to need a 12 pack of primer haha.
The concrete/ masonry bit shoots out a small direct stream that orbits in a circular motion to create a cone of high pressure water. I nicked the back of my ankle with one once right across the Achilles at 2500 psi..it will leave a mark...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks