• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m54 repower

atilathehun

I am thinking of repowering my m54 it has the multi fuel with the direct drive in it now the motor is tired and the trans is not far behind it. I would really like to put an auto in this truck but i would like the new trans to bolt to the old input flange on the transfer case can this be done? What motor and trans are a good match for a heavy truck like this all thoughts are welcome or should i just save for a newer m35a3.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do, I would maybe want your old tired LDS to rebuild for my 109...

Not sure on a tranny, I'm not very well versed in autos. I'd go with a cummins ISX :twisted:

Westech

CPL
6.2 V8 Diesel would be a good choice too.. well just need 3 or 4 of them. Really I would go for a NHC-250.. you can get the engines for 1000 bucks or so and its military so you all good.

vtdeucedriver

I am thinking of repowering my m54 it has the multi fuel with the direct drive in it now the motor is tired and the trans is not far behind it. I would really like to put an auto in this truck but i would like the new trans to bolt to the old input flange on the transfer case can this be done? What motor and trans are a good match for a heavy truck like this all thoughts are welcome or should i just save for a newer m35a3.

Direct drive huh.......................so you have the "wrong" transmission in yours too??????? Guess we need to listen to the experts and install the right one:roll::not worthy:

Save your $$$ for a 800 series and sell the M54 as a whole to someone who would appreciate it for what she is:-D

atilathehun

I am going to save some $$$$ for a m35 with a shelter on it that way i dont need a cdl and i can run regular plates on her now the ? a2 or a3. An a3 would be nice by the time i have the money for an a3 the a2's will be gone:| What things should i do to park the m54 for an extended time pull the battery's of course and put stable in the fuel and oil or is there more

vtdeucedriver

Hijack.................

You know I wish someone.....I know DD is really busy.........would give a good telling of why some have the Direct....and then some have the OD. My 5 ton trucks are of both flavors. Why?????????????????

Let me do some digging. I do know the OD trans was for the ENDT-673 becuse of its power band, it was better suited for this gearing as the Multi was suited for that gearing(direct drive). Remember, these trucks were not designed for constant highway use like we all use them. I am sure that the motor pool experts found that the OD trans would go nice in the multi and I am sure that some were done on that level. Both my M52 and M54 are direct drive transmissions.

Wesfolk, consider your self lucky for that you dont need to be on the search for a OD trans like I am for my M54. The reason I posted that was because some one on another thread about atilida's truck said that I had the wrong transmission in my M52 and that I should be able to do 60 mph.

atilathehun

oh yesterday i went out and started her it was colder yesterday she started right up and ran fine for 2 hours up and down the road when i got done i opened the hood and watched things looked in the radiator with it running no bubbles or oil but around the head gaskets there was oil blowby coming out between the head and block so i think i am looking at a head gasket change do the studs stretch over time on this engine. As for doing 60 in a truck this heavy they have bigger stones than me :| if someone pulls out in front of a 5 ton or duce with that much steam behind it they are done for. I can deal with the tranns for now i just want the truck mechanicaly sound i have had it a month and pulled it home 2 times now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks