• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A2 vs M52A2

vtdeucedriver

question guys....................got a M52A2 with direct drive. considering a convoy of 1600 mi with a M543a2..................is there a convoy issue??? I dont want to hold him up if he can do 60 on the interstate??? any thoughts?

jatonka

My M543A2 says 53 on the data plate top speed. The only time it can get there is downhill with a heck of a tailwind and a loaded M51A2 hooked behind it. Seriously, Your M52A2 will easily stay with an M543A2 all day. Neat Convoy!!!!!! JT

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 543A2 should have a direct drive tranny as well. Only the Mack powered trucks of the M39 series had OD IIRC.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to own an M543A2 with a direct drive tranny. That baby was pushing it at about 47mph. That was all she had without winding her out too far. I will say that the motor felt torquey through all gears. Joe Young had an M62A2 with an OD tranny...you could not get the truck into 5th gear unless you were on a hill headed down (as JATONKA stated). If I had to run a truck on the highway, I'd take the OD tranny for obvious reasons. However, the direct drive transmission is better for local driving and for working the truck.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bobtailing my M52a2 can hold 55 easy. Your much lighter than the 543 and he will probally hold u up. Dragging my m127 unloaded i can still get to 55MPH but it takes a while longer. There isn't any hills or mountans here, but if you have them they will slow the wreacker much more than you. And don't for get tp post pics of your trip!

vtdeucedriver

Cool, I was wrong about the milage, were only going 1000 miles. Anyone come up with a snazy name for the thread title???? James is now considering having it trailered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks