• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M551 Sheridan AR/AAV

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you people have seen pictures and videos of the M551 at the Museum, yoiu will see/know it is missing some parts. While it is a runner and a fun one to run/drive, it needs visual love. Today, we received the first 5 of 11 smoke tube launcher end caps.

First, a BIG thanks to Brent Mullins! He is in possession of a Sheridan that has the smoke launchers on it! A year or so ago, I called him and asked if we could possibly borrow one of the tubes to re create a set for the Sheridan we have. He agreed and shipped on out to us.

It was a project that was giving me a headache trying to finger out how to EXACTLY re produce the tube. The hard part was the exit of the tube. It is complicated, and when you see the attached pictures, you'll see why.

The rest of the tube is an engineering nightmare, I do not know how people figured it out, Tapered tube, 90 degree angles cast into the tube, covers, plugs, electrical connections, my Lord, it is a slide rule nightmare!

I did some measuring and figured, to keep things simple, a regular 4 inch OD tube would be used, but I still had issues with what to use for the end of the tube. This is where a network of friends came into play. Someone bought a WWII jeep, it had civi wheels on it. They called me to see if there were some OG, WWII wheels at the Museum, there were. Questions bounced here and there, and, turns out, he does 3D printing! I asked about the ends in question, he told me to bring them by. A while later, got a call that said he could do it, but it was complicated, but, he would be happy to do it for some orignal wheels. A deal was struck!

We received the first 5 today. They are amazing, need a bit of trimming, but that is easy. I had a chance to mock up the box on the outside, measure the piece sticking out the rear of the tube, and get a measurement for the lugs to mount the tube to the turret.

Yet another project in the works.

The Huey is coming along, too hot to paint here now, the carb kit is here and I did the cleaning of the carburetor and painting today. Maybe tomorrow it runs and gets put back on display. Pictures to follow in the correct forum on those.
smoke.jpgsmoke1.jpgsmoke2.jpgsmoke3.jpgsmoke4.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brent Mullins is a great guy, sometimes a bit grumpy, but always helpful. That is a cool project.
The local museum on Camp Mabry had a FLIR ball 3D printed for their Predator UAV, pretty much impossible to tell that it is not the real thing.

Cheers

BLK HMMWV

If you people have seen pictures and videos of the M551 at the Museum, yoiu will see/know it is missing some parts. While it is a runner and a fun one to run/drive, it needs visual love. Today, we received the first 5 of 11 smoke tube launcher end caps.

First, a BIG thanks to Brent Mullins! He is in possession of a Sheridan that has the smoke launchers on it! A year or so ago, I called him and asked if we could possibly borrow one of the tubes to re create a set for the Sheridan we have. He agreed and shipped on out to us.

It was a project that was giving me a headache trying to finger out how to EXACTLY re produce the tube. The hard part was the exit of the tube. It is complicated, and when you see the attached pictures, you'll see why.

The rest of the tube is an engineering nightmare, I do not know how people figured it out, Tapered tube, 90 degree angles cast into the tube, covers, plugs, electrical connections, my Lord, it is a slide rule nightmare!

I did some measuring and figured, to keep things simple, a regular 4 inch OD tube would be used, but I still had issues with what to use for the end of the tube. This is where a network of friends came into play. Someone bought a WWII jeep, it had civi wheels on it. They called me to see if there were some OG, WWII wheels at the Museum, there were. Questions bounced here and there, and, turns out, he does 3D printing! I asked about the ends in question, he told me to bring them by. A while later, got a call that said he could do it, but it was complicated, but, he would be happy to do it for some orignal wheels. A deal was struck!

We received the first 5 today. They are amazing, need a bit of trimming, but that is easy. I had a chance to mock up the box on the outside, measure the piece sticking out the rear of the tube, and get a measurement for the lugs to mount the tube to the turret.

Yet another project in the works.

The Huey is coming along, too hot to paint here now, the carb kit is here and I did the cleaning of the carburetor and painting today. Maybe tomorrow it runs and gets put back on display. Pictures to follow in the correct forum on those.
View attachment 901325View attachment 901326View attachment 901327View attachment 901328View attachment 901329

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brent Mullins is a great guy, sometimes a bit grumpy, but always helpful. That is a cool project.
The local museum on Camp Mabry had a FLIR ball 3D printed for their Predator UAV, pretty much impossible to tell that it is not the real thing.

Cheers
Brent has always been great when I call to ask questions. I would love to get out there sometime and say hey. I hear he just had a DC9 delivered!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AND, I forgot to give a shout out to a good friend, BLK HMMWV on the tubes. If it weren't for him, the dots wouldn't have been connected to get things printed. He understood the Museum wanted to re-create the tubes and Matt needed/wanted wheels. Some horse trading and things happened. The HUMMWV guy is always thinking! There might be an opportunity for Matt to make some dollars for what he printed.

Still WAY too hot to paint here. Assembled the carb for the AFKX the week I went on vacation, got it installed today and the pig runs. Will update that in the thread on it.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I was waiting for the Blaster parts cleaner to work some magic on a FP for an R6602, I fiddled with the launchers a bit....well one anyway. The top needed turning down a bit, about .010. We got the lathe working, so I made a center out of a brake lathe adapter, worked OK, but I'll wait for the bull center I have on order. Took about .010 off the OD, 1 inch down, the 3D printed end fits like a glove! As for the boxes, don't know if i'll try in the finger brake or make up a brake to use in the press.

551 smoke.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks