• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M62 wrecker with an m246 boom

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What really makes me pucker up and cringe is the end of that boom so close to the power line.
Hoping it is a camera illusion and you are more than a boom length away if something goes wrong.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’d had to have backed the truck up to hit the power line, it was out of the reach of the boom.
Just an Illusion...
Happy to see your comment!
I am not generally a "worry wort" just commenting about what I thought I saw.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Jon, this might be the best mod I've ever seen on a military wrecker. I know the extra stick might be necessary for the M246 but it's downright useful on the M62. Excellent work friend!
Thanks! With both trucks in the yard I had to do it, and I'm happy with the result. Plus I'll probably get a little use out of it instead of having it sit there.

HDN

Better to see the boom being put to use than rotting in the brush (y)

What does that mod do to the crane's capacity? The M246 is only rated to lift 10000 lbs if I remember correctly. I guess that's not a problem if you're never lifting more than that.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Better to see the boom being put to use than rotting in the brush (y)

What does that mod do to the crane's capacity? The M246 is only rated to lift 10000 lbs if I remember correctly. I guess that's not a problem if you're never lifting more than that.
I’d have to find the m62 load chart but if I’m not mistaken the load ratings are the same or very similar for the first 18ft.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’d have to find the m62 load chart but if I’m not mistaken the load ratings are the same or very similar for the first 18ft.
Nice!!

I did a little digging and it turns out that the M62 had an Austin Western boom on it.
While rummaging, I also discovered a short training film for it.

Army Training Film: TF9-2218

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Discovered the book on Load Testing for the M62, M543, M816, M819, and M246
Three pages of how to measure, what weight to use and how to stencil last date tested.
Somehow I was expecting a little more. Although it seems that what needs to be done is there.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks