• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m725mike?

m715mike

So having the truck fire-up, run well and actually driving it was the fun part. Now comes more fun. Here are the initial observations:

1) Rubber: Fuel filler neck (pictured below), hoses, belts, rubber cap thingy covering an opening on the side of the water pump that leaks like a sieve, etc.
2) Thermostat will get changed
3) Valve cover gasket is toast
4) Fuel System: Will need to clean the tank. An electric fuel pump was mounted to the frame. I mentioned in a prior post that the engine oil smelled like fuel. We were speculating that the electric pump had too much pressure and forced fuel into the oil. I'd like to replace the factory pump. Also, the fuel lines will get replaced.
5) Electrical: The electrical system was not our focus last weekend, but you can't miss the rat-eaten wires in the engine compartment
6) There are vacuum leaks to address
7) No breaks...
8) The lever to engage the front axle is stuck with the axle engaged. This may be a problem in the transfer case.
9) General PMCS is in order (fluids, filters, grease, etc.)
10) I'm sure this list will grow before it gets shorter, and that's before the cosmetic stuff!

The fuel filler neck is cracked:
IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG

And here is the electric fuel pump:
IMG_2134.JPG

67Beast

@m715mike

Does this look like a certain lens you might be interested in? Not perfect but it cleaned up good and is in really good shape. This one is currently mounted as my night-vision safe interior light in my 5-ton.

I actually have two of these light assemblies I stumbled across a while ago and thought they would work good for in-cab lighting for my girls. I will dig up the second one I have squirreled away in one of my parts bins, compare the lenses and send you the best of the two.

It's not original to either of my trucks so no great loss to me but I know it will make a big difference for your restoration as they are not common parts.

Shoot me a PM with your address and info and I will get one in the mail to you in the next week or so.

View attachment 877721
Wow yes that is the rare M725 compartment light. Awesome that you are offing it up for Mike.

Attachments

67Beast

So having the truck fire-up, run well and actually driving it was the fun part. Now comes more fun. Here are the initial observations:

1) Rubber: Fuel filler neck (pictured below), hoses, belts, rubber cap thingy covering an opening on the side of the water pump that leaks like a sieve, etc.
2) Thermostat will get changed
3) Valve cover gasket is toast
4) Fuel System: Will need to clean the tank. An electric fuel pump was mounted to the frame. I mentioned in a prior post that the engine oil smelled like fuel. We were speculating that the electric pump had too much pressure and forced fuel into the oil. I'd like to replace the factory pump. Also, the fuel lines will get replaced.
5) Electrical: The electrical system was not our focus last weekend, but you can't miss the rat-eaten wires in the engine compartment
6) There are vacuum leaks to address
7) No breaks...
8) The lever to engage the front axle is stuck with the axle engaged. This may be a problem in the transfer case.
9) General PMCS is in order (fluids, filters, grease, etc.)
10) I'm sure this list will grow before it gets shorter, and that's before the cosmetic stuff!

The fuel filler neck is cracked:
View attachment 877737
View attachment 877740

And here is the electric fuel pump:
View attachment 877738
Be aware that the fuel filler neck is different between the M715 and M725 so make sure you get the proper one. I just bought one for the M725 I'm working on, from a company in Greece. https://www.military-spareparts.com/

There is a company that has the rebuild kits for the original fuel pumps, it called, Then and Now https://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

For the transfer case lever getting stuck, the one in my other M725 gets stuck all the time. Drive it for a while to get it warm, then while in neutral let the ambulance roll back a little while moving the lever and it will usually then pop back in. I did have one time where I had to whack it with a hammer while doing that.

m715mike

Be aware that the fuel filler neck is different between the M715 and M725 so make sure you get the proper one. I just bought one for the M725 I'm working on, from a company in Greece. https://www.military-spareparts.com/

There is a company that has the rebuild kits for the original fuel pumps, it called, Then and Now https://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

For the transfer case lever getting stuck, the one in my other M725 gets stuck all the time. Drive it for a while to get it warm, then while in neutral let the ambulance roll back a little while moving the lever and it will usually then pop back in. I did have one time where I had to whack it with a hammer while doing that.
Thank you for the great information!

I just ordered a fuel filler neck and will check out the fuel pump rebuild kits.

TheQuaker

This is what mine looks like (excuse the poor quality picture):
View attachment 877728
Mike

Here you go.

The plastic is still clear, no haze and no major cracks/scratches. The screws are oxidized but are in good shape and should clean up nicely...
IMG_3260.JPG

The gasket is intact (it was not lined up properly at original assembly as you can see) and is still soft and pliable...
IMG_3262.JPG

I'll get it headed your way later this week.

Dan

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove several M715 and M725 trucks for several years while in the Army for thousands of miles, both on-road and off-road, while overseas. Those trucks are actually very good off-road trucks. Don't assume the transfer case lever is stuck. Every single truck I drove were difficult to get the transfer case out of 4 X 4 and less often difficult to engage. The secret I found was to rock the truck back and forth in 1st gear or reverse, with gentle pressure on the lever. If that failed, I would move it either forward or backward maybe 10 feet and repeat the rocking. Eventually, they would come out of gear. Pushing hard on the lever or banging on it doesn't usually help and could cause damage. Another note on the transfer case is that driving the truck at higher speeds for hours would cause overheating and boiling over of the lube in the transfer case, especially in hot weather. It is best to keep that truck at 45 MPH or less.
That is one nice truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks