• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M802a enclosure

cbisson

On my 802a the exhaust pipe is not even close to being centered in the hole through the enclosure. It's so close to the edge of the hole that when under load the engine vibrates enough to nearly hit the side of the hole. Is there a way to better align the enclosure to the engine or vice versa? I've seen pics and videos of sets where the hole to exhaust pipe alignment looks to be dead on. It doesn't look like there's any slop in the motor mounts to cheat it a little bit one way or the other. there is no major damage to the enclosure but have any of you had to deal with this? I'm thinking I may have to remove and loosen some of the enclosure bolts to "rack" it back into alignment.

Thanks,

-Craig

Zed254

*ARMY TM 9-61 15-641-24P shows the muffler assembly with the following parts where exhaust pipe exits the box.....
7 PBOZZ PBOZZ 30554 88-20519 . SEAL,PLAIN ENCASED 1
8 PBOZZ PBOZZ 30554 88-20517 . PLATE,MOUNTING 1
9 PBOZZ PBOZZ 30554 88-20518 . SEAT,HELICAL COMPRE 1

It's a pretty loose fit to allow for engine vibration.

Ray70

I've seen several units which appear undamaged as far as the enclosure, but the exhaust pipe has seriously dented into the raised lip around the opening because it had hit it at some point and was now only 1/2" away. Not sure if the mounts are flexible enough to let the pipe hit the enclosure if the machine gets dropped or something? Is yours by chance a reset machine? The few I had were all tan resets.

cbisson

I've seen several units which appear undamaged as far as the enclosure, but the exhaust pipe has seriously dented into the raised lip around the opening because it had hit it at some point and was now only 1/2" away. Not sure if the mounts are flexible enough to let the pipe hit the enclosure if the machine gets dropped or something? Is yours by chance a reset machine? The few I had were all tan resets.
Nope, not a reset. 2009 build date with 600 hrs. I have a NOS one that's way off center too but not enough to hit when vibrating under load. Like I mentioned before I've seen pics and vids of sets where the alignment is way better than mine. So the question is can you move the engine/gen around a bit on the 4 mounts or do you have to work the panels of the enclosure around to get them plumb with the skid so the hole in the roof lines up better.IMG_1237.JPG

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Its all about the enclosure. And the entire enclosure. Depending on how you start putting it back together from the skid up. After I drove myself mad on the second or third gen set I took apart completely, and put back together, I gave up trying to get it 100%. There is enough slop in the entire setup, to move it around to get the exhaust dead on. Then the doors don't fit. You get the doors to fit,and the top will not align. Get that right, the exhaust is off. I would have to be suffering terminal boredom, to ever try that again. And then, sometimes, by divine intervention, it all fits.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its all about the enclosure. And the entire enclosure. Depending on how you start putting it back together from the skid up. After I drove myself mad on the second or third gen set I took apart completely, and put back together, I gave up trying to get it 100%. There is enough slop in the entire setup, to move it around to get the exhaust dead on. Then the doors don't fit. You get the doors to fit,and the top will not align. Get that right, the exhaust is off. I would have to be suffering terminal boredom, to ever try that again. And then, sometimes, by divine intervention, it all fits.
It's even more when the unit you buy had something heavy that either ran into it or fell onto it from the side so the entire thing looks twisted. I took it apart and hammered a few things somewhat back into shape.
Exhaust comes out the hole and the doors close enough to latch, so I called it a win and stopped.

cbisson

It's even more when the unit you buy had something heavy that either ran into it or fell onto it from the side so the entire thing looks twisted. I took it apart and hammered a few things somewhat back into shape.
Exhaust comes out the hole and the doors close enough to latch, so I called it a win and stopped.
You guys have talked me out of worrying about it. If/when I have to dig into it I'll take a shot at it then. For now she's just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks