• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 Center Console a la .50 Cal Ammo Boxes

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A while back I finally decided to get rid of my bench companion seat and install a HMMWV driver’s seat on the passenger side. I wanted a center jump seat set-up, but I just wasn’t finding anything I liked or would fit in between the two seats. Then I decided to I wanted some sort of center console, but not a cheesy civilian type set up. I wanted it to look like it was original issue.

I started looking at ammo boxes of different shapes and sizes. After much searching I found these extra tall (13” vs. 7”) .50 cal. ammo boxes.
SDC12310.jpg
They are originally used to carry night vision goggles and are foam padded inside. The lids are exactly the same as the standard boxes. Here are a couple supply links…
http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/13249.html,
http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/4387-us-military-ammo-night-vision-heavy-duty-storage-box.aspx

I didn’t want to mount the boxes directly to the cab tunnel and wanted them to be easily removed. I bought one of the GI vehicle ammo can storage racks with straps (NSN 2540-01-246-8292, p/n 12340170). I found mine on eBay and the same seller still has them (send PM for link). I also have seen them here in the classifieds. This rack would be mounted directly to the cab tunnel.
doubletray.jpg

Now, the straps supplied with the rack are too short to go over the top of the tall ammo cans. I also wanted to be able to open the lids while the boxes are in mount. The strapping system would have to be modified and shortened.

On one side of the rack are oblong holes where the adjusting/locking ends of the straps hook into. Using some old used l-brackets (new ones available at any hardware store); I cut off one leg to about ¾” to 1”. These would act as the rear catches inserted into the oblong holes. Placing the boxes in the rack, they were marked for mounting of the bracket catches. Boxes were drilled and the catches mounted with some machine screws and nuts. The boxes were both repainted 383 green.
SDC12305.jpgSDC12306.jpgSDC12308.jpgSDC12309.jpg

The boxes were test fitted using the new strapping system and all worked perfectly. I removed the straps from the rack and cut off 2 ft. of webbing from the leader. The strap hooks the heavy wire bale under the lid latch, so there is a lot of excess webbing hanging off. I heat sealed the tips and had a shoe repair shop stitch the new leader ends down.
SDC12311.jpgSDC12317.jpgSDC12318.jpg

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted the rack to the cab tunnel using some ¼” bolts, nuts and star washers, reinstalled the straps and mounted up the ammo boxes. They are perfect fit and an almost as issued appearance. This mod is perfect for all M44 series 2 ½ ton, M39 series and M809 series 5 ton trucks as there cab tunnels are identical in height. The M939 series trucks would require some blocking to obtain the same height.
SDC12315.jpgSDC12328.jpgSDC12322.jpg

Due to the padded interior, the boxes are perfect for storing my headsets and portable intercom box when not in in use. A couple of flat-head sheet metal screws hold down the intercom backing plate/battery cover to the left box lid.
SDC12323.jpgSDC12325.jpgSDC12326.jpgSDC12327.jpg

Thanks for viewing this post. Feel free to use this idea for your truck(s).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks