• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 series wheel cylinder replacement

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had the pleasure of tearing the left front down to replace the wheel cylinder last week and thought you guys might enjoy some pics and info.

The first PITA was getting the lug nuts off. I think the last technician used a 1" impact set on permanent to put the nuts on. I had to go to the hardware store to buy a cheater pipe for my 3/4" socket wrench since my usual tactic of jumping up and down on the handle wasn't working :) Once I got the cheater, my 230 lbs was enough to break them all loose with minimal jumping. I made sure to re-install them with a little anti-seize.

The next PITA was getting the drum broken loose from the hub. It was solidly painted in place. I used a utility knife to scrape all the way around the drum, but that sucker was on there tight. Some research on SS described 2 different techniques for getting it to break loose. The first I tried was hitting the drum with glancing blows all the way around with a BFH. That slightly nudged it in the right direction, but nothing else. The second technique was putting 6x6" blocks under the drum and letting the jack down. I did this about 8 times all the way around the drum and it finally slid off the studs. Phew!!

After that, the disassembly was pretty easy. Pop the return spring off, take the brake hose off, unbolt the cylinder and remove it from the backing plate. It went back together smoothly until I got to the part of putting the return spring back on. I had to fight with that for about 20 minutes before I had a good technique for getting it back in place. It would have been much easier without that big hub flange in the way, but I didn't feel like taking the hub off. Finally, I got it back on. After that, I cleaned everything thoroughly and popped the drum back on with a hunk of 6x6. Then, I bled the new cylinder and put the wheel back on.

It worked out great. No more dripping wheel cylinder and with the shoes adjusted I think it stops better too.

I went to put on a new 11.00x20 tire and rim that I picked up from John Winslow, but it turns out that the tip was broken off of the valve stem. It's going to the shop today for a new tube.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

CGarbee

Thanks for the pics and writeup... I'll have to remember it all when I am faced with this job... :(

I think that one of my best Aberdeen purchases has to be the 1" impact wrench (air powered, Ingersol-Rand) that I got a few years ago for $5... :) Last time I had to swap a tire on a five ton, it took me an hour of jumping up and down on the cheater pipe to break loose eight lug nuts on the side of the road (ended up putting the lugnuts back on and just drove home thirty miles with a load in the dump then changed out the tire, love dual rears...) but only five minutes with the air wrench when I got home... :)

Try to snag a hefty air wrench or one of those torque multiplying lug wrenches if you can. You're too skinny to be playing "trampoline" every time you work on one of your rigs... :)

Scrounger

That seems like to much work. When I pull a front hub I just remove the axle flange and pull the bearings, remove the tire, wheel drum etc. as one unit. A dual/ wheel jack comes in handy when working on these things and they aren’t too expensive if you look around.
It definitely saves the back and makes it easier to repack the wheel bearings.

wdbtchr

How do you adjust the brakes? Is there a manual that covers this? I want to check the brakes and check the brake shoes on my M51A2 but haven't yet for lack of information.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is a small plate that is held on by one of the drum bolts. It covers an inspection hole that allows you to insert a feeler gauge at the L&R top and L&R bottom positions. There are adjustment cams top and bottom. I'm not sure about the specs for a M51A2. I'm sure it's covered in the TM.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure you don't have MV's for the exercise? Had to start small with a CUCV....

Dennis

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For the 809, it is the Technical Manual Unit Maintenance 9-2320-260-20.

Stretch, they are great exercise for the arms, legs and lower back. :)

emr

Good post Good info, Thanks! Like the pics, Sometimes i just muscle those tires around, sometimes i feel like crying when i have to move em !...Randy

emr

Good post Good info, Thanks! Like the pics, Sometimes i just muscle those tires around, sometimes i feel like crying when i have to move em !...Randy

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your lucky those are outboard drums - otherwise you would have had to pull the whole hub. Did you have to disconnect the return spring? Could you have not just spread the shoes enough to remove the brake cylinder. I know that is a mean spring! For a leaker, it was real clean in there too.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks