• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 Question...

91W350

What have these trucks been bringing lately? I know of a couple that were close to 5K after buyer's fees and taxes. The one I saw, I would have been very proud to own. At any rate, I had been looking for a M818, but now I think a 5 ton cargo truck would suit my desires just as well. Any advice? Thanks, Glen

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
813's here, been around $3200! 818's $25-3000

almost twice as much as a few years ago. Argh....:???:

LanceRobson

Hello, Glenn

As far as "advice" my input would be to start by thinking about how you will ACTUALLY use the truck as opposed to daydreaming about how you MIGHT use it. I guess it's the MV version of the true story of the guy who owns a paddle sports shop who says that he is perpetually amazed at the number of shoppers looking for a two person canoe who state that they do not have a regular paddling partner.

To get the most out of a tractor you'll need one or more trailers with the attendant increase in initial and ongoing costs of purchase, maintenance, storage and etc. Do you have the money, time and storage space for semi-trailers?

Unless you want or need to haul really large or particulary heavy loads the cargo truck is a lot friendlier to your time and cash budgets.

A tractor will also increase your licensing, insurance and registering costs in most cases.

A tractor without a lot of weight over the fifth wheel will tend to beat the stuffing out of you. The M813 is 3-4,000 pounds heavier and rides smoother. Not smooth, just smoother.

Tractors don't work well for chores like moving firewood, hauling a load of topsoil for the yard or making a lumber run for your next project.

I'd suggest that for most of us a tractor should be a second or third truck in the herd and not the only big truck.

As DH wrote, prices have been as low as $3K. Last month I bought an M813A1 with winch, less than 11K miles and hardtop at Fort Drum, NY for $3,098. In the same auction there were other M813s at Drum without winches or hardtops that went much nearer $4K and some in VA went over $5K.

Sometimes it's just a question of picking your battles and being patient. I waited about six months to get a good truck within 300 miles of home at the price I wanted to pay.

Lance

91W350

I originally wanted to do a shortened deuce bed on a bobbed M818 chassis. After running across an M813 a few months ago and seeing the M817 on 1600s last weeend, I am inclined to build a nice clean close to original truck on singles. I like the look and the truck would still be easy to restore down the road if wanted. I doubt I would ever need anymore truck than this. I do hav e room for trailers or whatever, but my interest does not lie there. If I got a tractor, it would not be for long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks