• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 with full Air Brakes

rammer64

I always used to say that if they made a 800 series 5 ton with the 900 series air brakes it would be the "cats meow"! Well, I found that truck (several) in Iraq in 1991. Evidently the US sold the Iraqi's trucks made like that. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen one in the US?

Vintage iron

I thought about doing it myself. Meritor brakes will bolt on, I have seen the thread where a member did it to his truck. It isn't needed if your brakes are maintained properly.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not an M813, but close enough...An M818 out of Portugal. Take note of the wedge styles on the rear...it can be done. Looks like M939 parts. Apparently they do great rebuilds there. Gorgeous truck!
5165117915_9c2bf853d1_b.jpg5165117913_9cdfa1019e_b.jpg5165117911_eb477c4036_b.jpg

quickfarms

Agreed...Memphis and Eastern sell S-cam conversion kits, but they are CHA-CHING $$$$$$.
There are two issues with wedge brakes. The first issue is very few people know how to correctly adjust them and accidentally back one shoe off per wheel. The second issue is you have to replace everything when you do a brake job, very expensive.

Vintage iron

Eastern and Memphis use off the shelf Meritor brakes. You can get them for half that price new! I have a complete used set at my shop. S cams are the best, cheapest and easiest to work on! I like hydraulic brakes too, they work good when they are adjusted right. Maintenance is the key.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always used to say that if they made a 800 series 5 ton with the 900 series air brakes it would be the "cats meow"! I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen one in the US?
I have never seen any until today. here it is march 2020 and an M813A1 is still in the system (w/ air brakes ? !) at auction on GP. There is also an additional step box I've never seen as well. Truck nomen tag indicates 1985 contract

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks