• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 T-case jumps out of gear!

Alredneck

Banned
Howdy all, Woody tells me the OD Green wrecker is jumping out of high range when he drives it down the road. He has to stop and put back in gear then go down the road then it jumps out again. It stays in low but you dont get far, fast in low range 5th gear. Any ideas on the problem ( bent shift rail, syncro? ) and how to fix it. I have another case if needs be but would not like the idea of having to pull it out of the wrecker. Also any links to the air shift conversion, so if it does come down to pulling the case, we can mod the other before putting it in. Thanks for any help and ideas!

Alredneck

Banned
I was already considering the bungee cord idea, to get it to the new place. Once its there it would just be used for construction work and loading and unloading duties.

I have a couple other 5ton t-cases, instead of buying a spare, I wait till the price is right and buy a whole truck! Over the last year we have about 10 trucks, 3-4 work at any given time and some are just for parts only, and projects we can not afford yet.

I tried the search feature, but as ussual it has let me down. If and when I have to put another case in this truck I would want to convert to the air shift that I have read about a long time ago that someone on here did to his truck but can not find the post. Sprag is ok for what it is designed for but I think having positive control over it would be better.

ncduece

For the air shift conversion all you need to do is cut the air supply off to the transmission poppet valve, a deuce valve would be the ticket.

Wolf.Dose

For me it is reading like the little spring loaded balls are worn out. These little balls are made to keep the shifted position in a siutable locked position, however shiftable. Did you check these parts on yout T-case. It need a complete stripp to get the shift rods out of the t-case, so most of the people (and professional rebuilders) do not like to do it.
Wolf

Hi. I had a 5 ton that would pop out of highrange. I took the cover off the back of the input shaft and found a broken snapring. I replaced the snapring and never had anymore trouble. Good luck Mike

Alredneck

Banned
I have not done a inspection of it yet. I dont believe Woody has either. My dad drove up for the week from TX and we plan on getting the wrecker from where its stored moved about 30 miles back to Memphis to do some conex lifting duties and get my loader unburied. I have a couple T-cases I will have to inspect to find the best one for replacement, if it calls for it. I was wondering about a broken mount cause Woody is harder on our trucks than me. He seems to break more stuff for some odd reason, even though I wheel more than he does. It has the 49 super singles on it and did seem to ride a lil rougher than with the 11R20 XLs so maybe if we are lucky its something that came loose or needs adjustment. Looks like crawling around in the icy mud under the wrecker day is coming.

I was thinking the parts off a deuce would work for the air shift conversion, but wasnt sure all that was needed.