• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 Wrecker/Crane Value?

MartyMar502

I'm thinking about buying a M35A2 with a crane on the back..I think it's whats called a M816. It's been sitting a while close to 5 years and hasn't been used for started but once. I'm just interested in the truck itself and was curious what the value of the crane would be...I just want the truck and the front winch.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well first off - an M35 is a 2 & 1/2 ton truck, hence the nick name 'Deuce and a half'. There were some wrecker versions (M60, M108) but not too many survived. The M816 on the other hand is a 5 ton truck, much heavier all around. If you want advise on your conundrum, we'll need to know what you are dealing with ie., we need some pics! Try a history search on fleabay for take off's.
Looking forward to a reply!!!!!

Last edited:

MartyMar502

Well first off - an M35 is a 2 & 1/2 ton truck, hence the nick name 'Deuce and a half'. There were some wrecker versions (M60, M108) but not too many survived. The M816 on the other hand is a 5 ton truck, much heavier all around. If you want advise on your conundrum, we'll need to know what you are dealing with ie., we need some pics! Try a history search on fleabay for take off's.
Looking forward to a reply!!!!!
Oh ok thanks for letting me know Zebedee, I had no idea. Yea the old truck is in pretty bad shape but i've always been a gluten for punishment and a stone cold pro and taking on things well above my skill level lol. The attached picture was taken over 5 years ago. I will try to get some updated pictures soon. The truck is about a hour and a half away from me and hasn't moved since I took the picture.

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok...so is that a good thing or bad thing lol?
... well as far as not destroying an M108, it's a fantastic thing, but as far as changing a 5 ton wrecker into a "troop carrier", it's gonna be heavier for start off - as a wrecker has a double frame to handle the disproportionate loading of the crane and it's use vs semi uniform loading of a cargo floor. As for driving around, you will notice the difference over a 'Deuce', which is almost 'sporty' in comparison. As far as it staying a wrecker - well there are plenty of them around - relatively.

Personally, I would advise you to hook up with local'ish owners of both types (not wreckers) and see if you can get a quick 'test drive' which will be way more value than anything you can read on this thread down the line, not that there isn't a wealth of members who WIlL have lots of great advise...

...and of course, all of us 5 ton wrecker owners will still be excited about more info/pics of your "find" even if you don't jump in (to ownership)

MartyMar502

... well as far as not destroying an M108, it's a fantastic thing, but as far as changing a 5 ton wrecker into a "troop carrier", it's gonna be heavier for start off - as a wrecker has a double frame to handle the disproportionate loading of the crane and it's use vs semi uniform loading of a cargo floor. As for driving around, you will notice the difference over a 'Deuce', which is almost 'sporty' in comparison. As far as it staying a wrecker - well there are plenty of them around - relatively.

Personally, I would advise you to hook up with local'ish owners of both types (not wreckers) and see if you can get a quick 'test drive' which will be way more value than anything you can read on this thread down the line, not that there isn't a wealth of members who WIlL have lots of great advise...

...and of course, all of us 5 ton wrecker owners will still be excited about more info/pics of your "find" even if you don't jump in (to ownership)
Roger that...well now that I know it's a 5 ton, I kinda dig that light bar and it looks good as a wrecker lol I've driven a M35A2 and have been a commerical driver for about 20 years so I'm not so concerned with the ride because Im sure I could find a use for it. I just hate seeing neat things like to sit and rust away. It bothers me it's been sitting in the dirt and mud for a while and the rust is starting to get to it. I don't even think it has batteries anymore and I know almost every tire is very very dry rotten. Rumor has it, it has no brakes either.

AMGeneral

Judging by your signature location, I am guessing this wrecker is sitting near Knob Creek range in KY?

If so then it is an M62 gasser powered by a Contential R6602 6 cylinder gasoline engine, 602 ci and between 2 and 5 mpg at best. It will have either a Zenith or Holley 2 bbl carb with a governer. Roughly 34,000 lbs ready to roll.

MartyMar502

Judging by your signature location, I am guessing this wrecker is sitting near Knob Creek range in KY?

If so then it is an M62 gasser powered by a Contential R6602 6 cylinder gasoline engine, 602 ci and between 2 and 5 mpg at best. It will have either a Zenith or Holley 2 bbl carb with a governer. Roughly 34,000 lbs ready to roll.
Yes it sure is. I was buying some new rifles on Saturday, plus stopped in to talk to Kenny see how he was doing since I moved and he told me about it. I didn't have a whole lot of time to take a look at it, I just know it been sitting a long time. I plan on making a trip to give it a once over in a few days after I learn more a bout it. Being a gasser is kinda a let down but I hate seeing the old girl sit but I get it Kenny has a lot on his plate and doesn't have time to mess with a old truck and I'm a sucker for money pits lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks