• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Dump Truck Destroyed the hoist cylinders and cross head.

JEdmonds

Hello all. I have an M817. Was using it to haul dirt from a lake construction and while trying to dump a load the cross beam (cross head) that attaches the hoist cylinders to the bed broke, and in the process bent the rods on both of the cylinders. Normally I just have cylinder parts rebuilt at the local shop but the guy said the glands were also destroyed. So, basically I need a set of glands (not even sure how to start looking for those), and a cross head, and still have to get the cylinder rods rebuilt, OR replace the cylinders and buy a new cross head. However, in the process of locating these parts it seems I might be able to just buy a kit and convert it from the oem style lift mechanism to the scissor type for considerably less money(?) I’d really just need the cylinder and the mechanism I think. Any of you guys have any input, opinions or suggestions? Possible sources for any of the parts or kits? I went to eastern surplus right out the gate and the quote was absurd, like over half what I paid for the truck kind of absurd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a good set or dump rams and some bracketry. I'm not sure just what truck they came off of, but they all do the same job. They were in a lot of parts I got from DRMO years ago, so maybe milspec, but they are painted yellow.

Free for shipping, or maybe it is time for you to take a little roadtrip to AZ.

PM me if you're interested.

Dennis

JEdmonds

I have a good set or dump rams and some bracketry. I'm not sure just what truck they came off of, but they all do the same job. They were in a lot of parts I got from DRMO years ago, so maybe milspec, but they are painted yellow.

Free for shipping, or maybe it is time for you to take a little roadtrip to AZ.

PM me if you're interested.

Dennis
Hey Dennis, I appreciate the info. Actually I just got back from AZ but Idt I could’ve lugged those rams back on Indian lol!

JEdmonds

Just wanted to drop an update. So I found a complete bed with the cross beam and hydraulic cylinders intact and only a couple hours away. Got the ram and crossbeam assembly transferred today. Might still rebuild mine and out them back on the spare bed and put it back up for sale to recoup some of the $$. Anyone need an M817 dump body?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks