• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 and Radio Mount

M1075

First off, let me say that I am a truly ignorant when it comes to military radios and I don't know the lingo. This M818 has a mount under the bed and a rear mast for an antenna. Are these common to you radio guys? I would like to get an antenna just to mount up for grins, but probably won't use the mount under the seat. What do I need to look for?

How common are the radios in a motorpool or convoy? Is it unusual to have one in a tractor truck?

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did you finally get you a M818? I haven't seen an 818 with a mast like that before. I have seen a couple of 813A1's, an 817 and an 816 with the under-seat mount.

ONTOS66

The mount that you have is for the SINCGARS family of radios.

Check out this link, it will give you a better idea of what you have:

www.gordon.army.mil/sigbde15/25u/25u10/25u1CTDF/25u12/25u12h05.ppt

Since it is current communications equipment it is difficult / expensive. The antenna elements are available from various sources if you just want to "dress it up a bit."

These radios use frequencies that are "off limits" to most radio operators. A short section of the 50 MHZ band is available for amateur radio operator use - but requires a license to operate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks