• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 battery and heater question

98hd

First off I need new batteries, asap. I'm guessing the 6tl's are not common, what would be a good replacement? What about the large truck batteries that take up the space of 2 regulars?

I'm also going to need a heater, will the deuce heater work on the M809 series trucks? Or is it a different kit? Is there a fuel burning option for cab heat? That would be ideal.

thanks

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can still find 6TL's. I have seen refurbished or blems go as cheap as $70-80 a piece. Lot's of guys on here run civi batteries instead. Just be careful if you go changing the battery wires around so you are only running 2 bulldozer batts. There is a 12v tap on there that goes to the control box. If you hook that to 24v, things will sizzle.

There are plenty of hot water and fuel-fired 5-ton heater kits out there. Just check with the dealers. I have a hot-water kit on mine and it makes plenty of heat. I hear the fuel-fired ones will run you out of the cab, which might be good for MI :) At least you don't have to wait for the 855 ci to warm up before you get heat with that one!

98hd

Re: RE: m818 battery and heater question

steelsoldiers said:
You can still find 6TL's. I have seen refurbished or blems go as cheap as $70-80 a piece. Lot's of guys on here run civi batteries instead. Just be careful if you go changing the battery wires around so you are only running 2 bulldozer batts. There is a 12v tap on there that goes to the control box. If you hook that to 24v, things will sizzle.

There are plenty of hot water and fuel-fired 5-ton heater kits out there. Just check with the dealers. I have a hot-water kit on mine and it makes plenty of heat. I hear the fuel-fired ones will run you out of the cab, which might be good for MI :) At least you don't have to wait for the 855 ci to warm up before you get heat with that one!
That is the best part of the fuel fired one, no warm up. Maybe I could just hook up a fuel fired coolant heater, and then the hot water cab heater.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Re: RE: m818 battery and heater question

The coolant heaters are hard to find. I'm thinking of using a normal fuel fired heater for the cab and ducting the exhaust to the oilpan of the motor,or making an extra duct to go to the pan that I can switch on or off.

98hd

After some more searching I see the group 31 batt's mentioned. I need something soon and I probably won't find 6TL's. How well do the group 31's do? I want some good batteries, as the ones in the truck are toast, the water/acid was frozen when I went to look at my truck.

Also, on the heater does anyone know if the deuce heater will fit? I have a deuce coming also that does have the hot water heater installed, if I could put that in the 818 that would be great as I'm planning on selling the deuce, now that I will be getting an 818.

jwaller

DaveP said:
Chris, my 800's dont have a 12 volt tap. are they missing something? everything works the way it is.

sure they do. all you do is hook to 1 battery instead of 2. that how the glw plug is hooked it. it's 12V.

jwaller

any interstate battery dealer can get you the 6tls. I'm sure there is one close to you.

a deuce heater wlil fit. only the bracket that holds them to the frame is different and you can easily make those.

98, the heaters are a little adjustable. you can swap the blower around from end to end or flip it on the same end. whatever it takes to put the water connections facing the proper direction. you also can mount the heater on the left inner fender well if you dont have the 800 series mounting kit. if you use the Deuce heater kit the distribution box will work if the heater is mounted on the left side. just have to run the heater hoses around to the other side. hope this helps some.

98hd

So I got a call from the closest interstate dealer. u6tl's are 3 weeks out and they want about $250 each.

I think I read in another post using 2 8D batteries. Anyone know for sure if they will fit?

As far as hooking them up goes will I need to bring some battery cable and terminals? Hooking up the Pos. and Neg. to the truck shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure if the jumpers in the truck now will fit between the batteries.

Also, I only got a brief look at the battery cables, but it looked like there were 3 different cables goming off the batteries to the truck. Would one of those be the 12v tap mentioned above, or is one for the slave cable receptacle? I couldn't find a diagram in the manuals.

m139h2otruck

I have two size 31 batteries (threaded posts) in the M812A1 that came with the truck. With the ribs in the bottom of the boxes, you can't install the step/cover without hitting the posts (don't ask!). I expect to use two size 8 tractor batteries if and when I get the time to update this truck (still working on Mack powered tractor). Installed two Tractor Store batteries in the tractor, using the combo type (side and top posts) rated at 850 amps.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
98hd said:
So I got a call from the closest interstate dealer. u6tl's are 3 weeks out and they want about $250 each.

I think I read in another post using 2 8D batteries. Anyone know for sure if they will fit?

As far as hooking them up goes will I need to bring some battery cable and terminals? Hooking up the Pos. and Neg. to the truck shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure if the jumpers in the truck now will fit between the batteries.

Also, I only got a brief look at the battery cables, but it looked like there were 3 different cables goming off the batteries to the truck. Would one of those be the 12v tap mentioned above, or is one for the slave cable receptacle? I couldn't find a diagram in the manuals.
There is a battery diagram on the bottom of the battery box cover, well at least there should be ;) I'll copy it out of my manual and post it here just in case. The top terminals on the 6TL's should be the same size as any jumper wire you get at a auto parts place. I made a jumper for my M35A2 with a clamp on terminal that had a post and wing nut on it and a jumper wire that had a big ring terminal on one end. It made for a nice anti-theft device.

98hd

steelsoldiers said:
There is a battery diagram on the bottom of the battery box cover, well at least there should be ;) I'll copy it out of my manual and post it here just in case. The top terminals on the 6TL's should be the same size as any jumper wire you get at a auto parts place. I made a jumper for my M35A2 with a clamp on terminal that had a post and wing nut on it and a jumper wire that had a big ring terminal on one end. It made for a nice anti-theft device.
Thanks, Chris. Or if it is in one of the TM's posted on the site I downloaded all of them, just let me know which one. I couldn't find it when I browsed through them.

poppop

I use two of the large batterys with the stainless steel threaded post in mine. They were put in when I picked up the truck I think three years ago. Interstate Blems at $35.00 apiece. Thats all I use here on the farm. Some don't last that long but for $35.00 each I can change a few out earlier. A lot of my equipment is only used two or three months out of the year, so why put an expensive battery in it and find it dead when its time to crank it up. For this price I keep several spares on hand all the time.

98hd

I've been leaning away from a 4d or 8D as I'm not sure I can get them to fit w/o modifications, which are not real feasable to do when I pick it up.

Went to look at the catalog at the local napa. Found a napa 7565, which is a ford truck battery. The dimensions are smaller than the 6tl's, so they should fit in the box ok, and they are 1000 CA (I forgot the CCA), I think 4 of them should work just fine for spinning the Cummins.

Scrounger

Just my 2cents worth on this topic. There are only three major manufacturers of batteries in the U.S., Johnson Controls, Exide and one other I can’t remember at this time. They make most of the batteries and just re-brand them for most everyone else.
There are only two companies that make lead acid 6TL batteries that are Mil-Spec, Exide and Deka (East Penn Manufacturing Company, Inc.)The Mil-Spec batteries have heavier plates, stronger cases and deeper sumps so they don’t sulphate out as fast as a non Mil-Spec. battery.
Personally I prefer the Deka battery over the Exide battery because it has 750 CCA at 0o and 230 minutes reserve compared to 600 CCA and 200 minutes reserve.
There are pluses and minuses with using 6TLs compared to say a group 31 battery.
The 6TLs, if taken care of will last 8-10 years. I just replaced some that were made in April of 1999. They fit the battery box without modification and the cables with fit.
However they do cost more, I just picked up twelve in Baltimore the other week and they cost $135.00 each. These are first run new production batteries.
Other batteries may be cheaper, group 31s are around $65-$80 in this area, however they with probably only last 4-5 years. They will also require some “rigging” to hold them in the battery box. They will probably be easier to find.
For my money I think the 6TLs are worth the effort since I don’t like handling those things any more that I have too.
There may be a Deka dealer in your area. The Napa dealers in this area also carry 6TLs and maybe they can get them for you.