• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 home from Indiana questions.

Last night I received an email that I am finally paid in full for my M818 in Indiana. Luckily my dad who also bid on one also received the paid in full email on his yesterday also. We were planning on flat bedding them home but after reading about Armada's post on driving them home with no problems we are debating driving them home.

I only have my class B license. Do I need a class A to towbar the second one behind the pulling truck? I assume so but want to ask?

I PM'd Armada on how he licensed the trucks for the ride home but haven't heard anything. How do others go about this if I decide to drive them home as I don't have the SF97?

Thanks,
Andy

jwaller

you prob should have a A lisence but I dont think you will run into any problems. just make sure you have tag and insurance on at least one of them if you plan on driving it home.

It matters when liability comes into play if you run into anything.

ida34

In Michigan you have 48 hours from the time you get a vehicle to get it plated and titled so for the ride home or to the Secretary of State's office you do not need a plate as long as you get home within the 48 hours. Reciprocity between the states should have covered him if he was stopped. Check with a commercial enforcement officer in Minnesota and ask them. Be sure to make the point that the truck is for your personal use and not going to be used in commerce at all. That is unless you are using it in commerce. In Michigan and Federally you would not need a CDL of any class unless you were engaged in commerce or operating commercially. Minnesota or any state in between might require you have a CDL or a non-commercial class license. If Minnesota does not require a cdl then reciprocity should apply but I have not extensively researched the reciprocity issue as of yet. For an example, as of a few years ago in TN a personal trailer (not a camper trailer) did not have to have a license plate or registration. If you were driving in Michigan and you get stopped you would not get a ticket for no registration or plate since your home state of TN did not require it. You might still get a ticket from a rookie LEO but you could successfully fight it in court.

Again, ask a commercial enforcement officer near you about it.

Armada

I PM'd Armada on how he licensed the trucks for the ride home but haven't heard anything. How do others go about this if I decide to drive them home as I don't have the SF97?
Andy, never got a pm from you. I insured the truck before picking it up. That way I would be covered if something bad happened on the drive home. Chuck has it right about registration. Good luck with the recovery.

Coveralls

Andy, I picked up mine on the 11th and had no problems on the 90 mi. trip to the barn. I passed 3 state and 6 county police cars on the way ,and they showed no concern. Neal (the GL guy) will not have you sign off till your trucks start. They should start with just a couple rpm. Mine fired off with about 3. I thought I was in a museum exibit or something. The truck did not have any dust,sand or dirt on the inside of the frame! Temp was 30;with mud everywhere. By the time I got it on pavement, the back was covered in mud.You can't get plates without the SF97's first. The wait on my Smyrna deuce is 3 mo.and counting. I never worry about that. Just get insurance. If you drive them home seperate, a class B is ok in IN. Towing one behind the other you need class A. You should worry about road conditions. That's why I pray a lot. Bobtailing on these winter roads is tricky, as you have no weight in the ass end. If a hard stop is required you will think your on a carnival ride. Feel free to PM me and if you need help with this I can give you the home phone # as I'm laid off for the winter.

thanks

Armada- I don't know why the PM didn't go though. Thats my second PM that hasn't gone through.
Coveralls- Thanks for the response and the offer on help. If we run into any problems I'll get a hold of you.

I'll make sure to post pics when we go to pick them up in the next two weeks.
Thanks again,
Andy

M1.30-'06

So GL will let you drive the truck off of the property? I was under the impression that it had to be trailered/towed off site.

Are people actually getting their SF97's now?

Armada

:ditto: Yes drive it. I would not hesitate at all driving the trucks you guys won. It can make a great recovery story too! Good times, good times.