• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Milage

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
If I was to drive an M818 bobtail and keeping it at moderate speeds what kind of milage would you expect to get. I am looking at the cost to do about 850 miles in one if I am getting it. Anyone with one of these please chime in I know the gasser M52 would only get about 3 to 4 MPG and it would lay a smoke screen behind it too.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the TM, you should get 4.0 to 4.5 mpg, but that's probably loaded, so figure 5 to 6 on the highway with one driving axle (recommended by yours truly)...

My XM818 W/W gets around 8 mpg bobtail if driven nicely. We got over 6 mpg flat towing another 5 ton tractor. and while flat towing those other tractors i was not real nice to it as far as fuel usage went. mine is turned up a little and will go thru a bunch of fuel in a hurry if not carefull.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my old 52 m52 gasser got almost 6mpg bobtailing and NO smoke, sounds like youe gasser 52 is running rich

jwaller

I get about 5 with mine but I run it flat out on the governor with 1600's. about 4.5mpg loaded running with it on the floor.

Scrounger

David, I have gotten as high as 11 MPG when I bobtailed up to Havre de Grace to pick up a generator trailer. And it’s been as low as 6.6 towing a 127 and grossing around 50K. I usually expect 8 to 8.5 when bobtailing it depends on traffic and weather. I have 11:00 X 20’s and try to maintain 2100 RPM on the open road.

halftrack

Scrounger said:
David, I have gotten as high as 11 MPG when I bobtailed up to Havre de Grace to pick up a generator trailer. And it’s been as low as 6.6 towing a 127 and grossing around 50K. I usually expect 8 to 8.5 when bobtailing it depends on traffic and weather. I have 11:00 X 20’s and try to maintain 2100 RPM on the open road.
That is more what I see with my M818 and towing the halftrack.

Westech

CPL
I get around 8/9 MPG in my 813. It has a brand new engine in it. I keep it about 2100 rpm and I think thats around 50/55 MPH. Even with my Honda in the back I was still getting around 8/9. In the Cummins it seams to do really well if you keep her ez and not push it really hard.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks guys:
I did think the M 52 was running rich because the fumes coming out on the road were driving my chase car crazy even at a hundred and fifty feet back. I like the cummins motors in the M818's we ran our M 915's with 400 cummins everyday for years and they just ran and ran. My thoughts are that if I do get one and have a long drive I would settle in at a lower RPM and just ride it home watching the gauges and stopping every 200 miles for PMCS.