• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Recovery and Mechanical Problems

M818Runner

Well after recovering my 5 ton from Drexel Gardens Indiana, and driving it all the way back to Pittsburgh 360 miles away, I have decided it is a very good truck and in nice shape. We had very little to do to the truck so in no time the truck was up and running nicely. It made it the entire trip home without any major problems that we could tell and all in all its a very solid truck.

From playing around with the truck I have found a few questions, problems, and concerns.

First is the power steering.
I know that the power steering leaks but I don't know where from. After driving all the way home with the engine running for 10 hours straight it still had enough oil in the pump to make a good size spot on the driveway. I thought this was wierd because it did not leak out while under pressure. The pump does have a dent in the side and its the only engine component that looks old. I have included pictures of the pump.

My question is:
Are these pumps prone to leaks or is it probably a damaged unit? What is the correct name for the pump and can I get a new or refurbished unit?

Second is the transmission.
While driving home I noticed that in 5th gear the transmission is very loud. It has a whine that is very noticeable.

Is this a spicer transmission thing or is there possibly something wrong with the transmission? I plan on doing a full oil change to see if that corrects the problem but any input here is a help.

Third is a Potentially Dangerous Throttle problem
This is a very wierd but potentially very bad problem. I was pulling out a stuck tri-axle with the 5 ton and while moving the truck in low range the throttle stuck wide open. As far as I can tell the linkages for the pedals bound up with eachother and it resulted in a stuck fuel pedal. I managed to save the motor from blowing up but not before it revved WAY out.

This is more of a warning than anything else because I want to pass on this to keep someone else from having the same problem.
Has this happened to anyone else?

One last things is that I have a stripped out bolt in the timing cover just under the power steering pump. It is definitely stripped but it catches just before it can walk itself into a pulley. I attached a picture but you have to look close because the bolt looks like it is only loose.

Is this a common problem with the motor or is it just bad luck on my part. And any advice on fixing it is appreciated, I havent really decided yet on what I plan to do.

I hope I kept this short enough but I had a lot of information.
Thanks in advance for all the help
Dan

Last edited:

M818Runner

Here are some pictures to go along with the post. The broken bolt is in with the pictures of the pump it is the second picture. I included the picture of pulling the tri-axle just for fun and the other two are just of the truck.

Attachments

KsM715

Nice looking truck. Sorry I cant help with any of your questions other than to tell you when I drove my M818 home from OK to KS (300+ miles) I also noted that 5th gear was pretty loud on mine as well.

CharlieM

I just bought an 818 as well and also a M35A2. I also noticed a gear whine in 5th gear and was concerned as well. I checked all the fluids before I left and the transmission never got hot while I was driving home. This truck is only showing 4100 miles and 144 hours. Does not seem normal.

Attachments

oilcan

One of my 818's had the throttle rod binding issue, too. Luckily I noticed it at the gl lot and corrected it before hitting the road. If you unbolt the rod from the linkage, then put it on the other side, you're golden. I know my description is crummy, but when you get under the truck, you'll see what I mean.

Armada

Congrats on the 818. One thing I noticed with yours that you'll want to take care of before too long. See the PS reservoir low pressure line and the cracks in it? Feel it and you'll find that it's already soft and spongy. Get rid of that hose and put on a reinforced hose that is rated for use in petroleum/fuel. I don't understand why they did this, but the hose that is on there is not compatible with the oil and it is degrading at a fairly fast rate. It WILL fail and most likely while you're driving it. Not only will it make a mess, it will also be potentially deadly to you or somebody else as the steering will go wild. It will not act like manual steering. The hose on mine looked the same way and only lasted a few months before failing. Needed clean shorts that day...... You can see my old hose in the pic, it looks the same as yours. That was taken when I first got the truck. The truck had not been used since being completely overhauled and sold at gl auction, so the hose was not very old. Whatever you do, make sure to replace that return line.
My 5th gear also whines a little.

Attachments

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wine

My 5th gear does not whine, but my 818 is governed down to a max RPM of 2000 which only lets me his 52mph, what is every ones else's top speed?
James G.

PS: Your recovery went better than mine, it took me four trips to Hooks to replace my oil cooler and flush the cooling system to pick mine up.

Last edited:

KsM715

I know that on my trip home I think I might have hit 55 going down hill when I wasnt paying attention to my speed and rpms that close

M818Runner

Thanks guys for the advice. As soon as I can get the time Im going to go to the Parker store and have them make me up some fresh lines for the power steering pump and I like the bolt idea too.

Is there anywhere that sells new or refurbished pumps? I havent pulled it yet but I just want to start weighing my options iif I do have a bad pump.

I think my truck goes 55mph max. I want to get some bigger tires whenever possible. Im working on a 5ton dump now that has a winch and super singles on it already. So I can just switch it over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks