• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 with new spin on fuel filter

Hammer

Well, after chasing down fuel leaks on the m818 for a while now, I came to the last piece of the puzzle. The fuel filter setup definitely had a couple leaks.
I made SURE the washer was flat on top, the big ring was seated properly, etc.
I have all new double wire braided hydraulic hoses for all the fuel lines, and now I put on a new spin on fuel filter.
PLEASE bear with me on the pathetic bracket. It was just a temp setup to see if I had any other leaks in the system before I finish a newer bracket for the setup.
I still have all the stock filter setup, so if I want to go back to stock, it is unmolested.
I am guessing that my stock setup is normal for the m809 series with the Oring base fittings that fit to the filter base.
These worked perfectly with the new filter base I got, so these should work for everyone's setup!
Only thing that needs to be fabbed up will be a new bracket. The lines should fit onto this base, and the filter is MUCH cheaper and easier to replace.

Part numbers.
I got these from the local Cummins NW dealer.
Filter
FS1212
Filter base
142784-S

I paid $14.74 for the filter and $27.15 for the filter base.
So, even after taxes, I paid less for the conversion then for the stock filter!
And filters will be cheap, and easy to find from now on!

Attachments

Hammer

I drove it about 30 to 40 miles today after installing this new setup.
It runs like it hasn't ran in quite some time!

Hammer

You can get a dual filter head setup if you want, there is room there for two if you wanted.

Still, much newer filter media type, easy to get replacement filters just about anywhere. And filters are much cheaper.
Oh, and if you have an air leak around one of these, you really screwed it up. Unlike the stock setup...

eldgenb

when you make your permanent mount you may want to consider integrating some type of a rock shield into it, the reason for the girth on the stock one is to stand up to rock hits from the front tire, something simple would do just fine. Nice upgrade though!

groundog

:grd:need pictures when you get the mount made---good work and info---I think I have a air leak some where on my M-813A1---need to pressurize the fuel tank and check hose and fittings---groundog---sold my 818 and bought a M-820

Fixlinc

The original M818 fuel filter base top has a bleeder fitting on top that leak or suck air in. If just a plug seal it again or try a new plug. Ours had a fitting like a tire stem for pressurized bleeder tank hose and after changing the stem and keeping a cap on it we stopped having air leak problems it was always sucking air in giving us fits. If you have two fuel tanks pull the sheet metal under drivers side and make sure fuel lines going to the selector valve are not kinked or collapsing we had replace all those lines too.

davidkroberts

thanks for the post..... i was just about to change out my filer anyway. As im going to be using this truck a bunch an easier to get at filter is much better.

Hammer

I have actually removed the selector switch on the floorboard. I run the line straight from the tank to the filter.
The pickup tube is brand new, the tank is new (thanks to uncle sam's rebuild).
I even took the primer out of the system to check and see what it's effect is on the leaking.
I WILL get all new lines for the primer/flame heater, new O rings, etc. I just plugged it off to see if that was part of the leaks.
Hopefully I can find some heavy scrap metal at work this weekend to make the bracket/guard out of. If not, I will buy what I need. Not so much being cheap, but I LIKE making stuff out of things lying around.

Btw, if you happen to have a dodge pickup with the cummins engine, get the Power Club deal they have to get % off all parts and service.

Heck, a new filter for my pickup now costs more then replacement filters for the m818!!!

Biggest thing I really like about this setup is that is will use your stock lines.
I replaced the fuel lines, so I didn't have a problem flexing the copper lines. Those that want to keep the copper line that goes back from the filter will want to be careful with that part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks