• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819 and M246 Boom extension

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am wondering if anyone has the original "boom extension push-out rod"(3 pieces) for extending the boom on the A/W cranes used on an M819 and M246.

I would like to replicate the originals, if the info is available.

If you do not have the original push-out rod(3 pieces), what are you guys using? What multiple or total lengths are needed for sufficient extension?

Also, in the Old TM for the M246, it specs 1500 rpm for the governed engine speed, for the hydraulic pump.

In the 809 series TMs, it specs 1250 rpm.(iirc)

What engine speeds are you guys running your hydraulics at?

Attachments

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
As for speed, run the M816 at idle 5th gear.

As for the extension question, all I can say is give Jack a call at Jacks Surplus in Tuscon, AZ. Not only does ha most likely have the correct answer he has the parts as well. I saw no fewer than 5 M246 gassers while working next to them preparing my trailer and dead dodge for the return trip back to TN. Jack is good folk, but his prices are sky high so be prepared! The way he looks at it is, they are not making anymore, few if anybody is making spare parts, so one day there will be even fewer. Not to mention all the folks scrapping stuff cause they need a few extra bucks. So he says it can sit there as long as it need to, one day you will have no choice but to pay what he asks! I thought I was talking to a crazy man as we wondered his yard talking for a while. Latter that evening I thought, danm the old man actually makes since! He's right, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day!

Alredneck

Banned
Oh if you needs his number and address, I can find it, his card is here somewhere!

You can google him to as he has alot of inventory! From planes to trains! Well I didnt see any heavy armor while there but also missed out on one of his yards!

jwaller

I am wondering if anyone has the original "boom extension push-out rod"(3 pieces) for extending the boom on the A/W cranes used on an M819 and M246.

I would like to replicate the originals, if the info is available.

If you do not have the original push-out rod(3 pieces), what are you guys using? What multiple or total lengths are needed for sufficient extension?

Also, in the Old TM for the M246, it specs 1500 rpm for the governed engine speed, for the hydraulic pump.

In the 809 series TMs, it specs 1250 rpm.(iirc)

What engine speeds are you guys running your hydraulics at?
seco has several 819 bodies sitting in their rear yard. they may have it but I never knew such a thing existed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today, I extended the boom all the way out. I then measured the distance between the two push-out rod support locations. I had 111 inches. I determined that 1.25" OD pipe is the largest diameter pipe that will fit in the supports.

I didn't have a piece that long handy, so I just tested the ease of sliding the extension out with a piece of pipe that was about 7 feet long. It extended very nicely. I then, used the hoist cable to pull it back in. It seemed to slide nice and smooth. When I was close to all the way in, I stopped and looked to see that I was withing 1/4" of lining up with the pin holes. I did not want to bottom out or bind anything(my first time doing this) so I was gonna try to drive the tapered end pins in. I simply inserted the tapered end in the slightly misaligned holes and was able to use it to line the holes up by hand(the extension slid in very easily). I was very pleased!

I was expecting some difficulty with all this, since the truck was supposed to have sat for 10 years or more. Looks like the whole process is fairly simple and easy!.:D

I would still like to see what the original push-out rod setup looks like. For now I'll scrounge up 111" of 1.25"od pipe.

When I load some trailers in a couple weeks, I'll try to get some video and or pictures of the extension process.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack's does have several but if they are on a semi-complete truck he won't sell them without the rest of the truck. Try Memphis, I was there 2 weeks ago and was amazed at some of the oddball stuff they had. It would not shock me in the least if they had a NOS one there.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mike, the first pic was an M62 bed, the second was an M816. Those don't have much in common with DH's boom. I couldn't tell what was in the last pic.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size tires are on the 246? I would like to find some better tires for the M819. Mine look round, but feel square!