• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819 towing M35A2 (pics)

No.2Diesel

Hello,

We finally had the oppurtunity to tow the Deuce with the 819: We had to drive out to Bald Hill and drop the trucks off for the week for display at the mobile Vietnam Wall Memorial along with other MV club members. Those responsible for the construction and setup of the well did an excellent job. Its too bad its not permanent.

It was fun getting the chance to photograph the trucks from another perspective. A couple of the pics remind me of the film "Duel." (pics 83 & 84)

It doesn't take that long to hitch up and go.

Enjoy the picture posting overload!!

Attachments

spentshell

Cool pics No2.

Ive been checking on the trucks every night everything looks nice and secure.

Hey that looks like spentshell checking out that helicopter.

drjconley

I noticed in your pictures you have the towed vehicles front wheels in the air. i have a wrecker also and i was wondering what the procedure is to do that. is there a tm that explains the process. i assume that you would need to hook up a wiffle tree to the towed truck and then a tow bar to the wiffle tree? is it better to flat tow with a wrecker or just pick up the front and tow with only the back tires on the ground. will the front tires turn if the transfer case is in neutral. I assume that the towed vehicle should be out of gear with transfer case in neutral. sorry about all these questions. i tried a search, but i couldnt find a thread that answered my questions.

jim conley

m62a2

No.2Diesel

Hi,

When Lift towing or flat towing everything should be in Neutral. If lift or flat towing for long distances (open for interpretation, maybe 100mi.+) axles or drivshafts should be removed to reduce increased wear of gear clusters that don't normally receive lubrication in neutral.

A wiffle tree device is only required for lift towing.

The towbar assembly that was added to this truck is a civi. model and is different in it's construction and function: The lift point and the turning axis is located in the same location so turning is very smooth as well as keeping the sheave block and wire rope vertical at all times. Civi towbars allow multiple types of attachment to multiple types of vehicles.

drjconley

I am sorry to ask again, but will the front tires engage if the transfer case is in neutral and the front is lift towed. I am asking because the commercial tow operators lift from the tires, and i was wondering if they could tow a five tone with a tire lift.

jim conley

m62a2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks