• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M872 - My new GL trailer! :)

dm22630

Well....what good is a M818 with no trailer? NONE! haha

Here is what I picked up today @ Ft. Meade.....I inspected it on Tuesday & was very surprised in the GREAT condition.

New deck
New air hoses
New brake shoes
No major rust
Good paint
All good tires
Every grease fitting had new grease coming out of it

And.....the GL site manager said that "they pulled it in the lot with no problems & it was a really good trailer".

What do you think? From M332 to this in 6 short months! rofl

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow - 34 ton capacity! You're gonna have everyone asking you to haul tanks and APCs around for them! Great save, Daniel!

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Looks good ,I was going to bid on that . But I bought too many other things lately. I am going to FT. MEADE. tommorow to pick up a M105,M146, and a M109A3.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I spent 38 months as a platoon leader and three years as a commander of trasportation companies that used these trailers. They are great and you will love it. Are the sideboards in the racks underneath? The trailer is heavy and the M818 will struggle with it because the prime mover for this is the 400 HP M915. Great score though if I was not in Korea I might have been bidding on that too.

dm22630

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Are the sideboards in the racks underneath? The trailer is heavy and the M818 will struggle with it because the prime mover for this is the 400 HP M915.
Nope....no sideboards :( All the boxes underneath are empty.

Am I going to have trouble pulling when it is empty? or partially loaded?

How much weight can I safely put on it with my M818?

Thanks!

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think you will be able to pull it home empty but they are heavy. We used to put two M113's on them or four artillery guns even two dueces. It is amazing what you can do with a company of 120 trailers like this and 61 Tractors. It will be slow going up hill for sure. The side boards are pretty cool fiberglass or plywood with a big aluminum stake in the middle and they hook together. Steel rods hook into the stake from side to side to make it hold the tarp up. Wait till you see that trailer with 2 20 foot containers or a 40 foot one they are huge. having Dayton wheels is the only real drawback I had with them.

54reo

I am beginning to envy your collection. :wink:

Seriously, if you don't mind me asking, what did you have to give for it?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, do you think an M932/M931 would have any easier time with these trailers? I've owned plenty of the M939 and M809 series and I've found the M939 series trucks have more b****. It could have been the trucks that I've owned, but I have owned quite a few of each. My old M936A2 started off slowly, but after about 3 mph, it pulled strong all the way up to 65 mph. Go try that in an M816!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really what Daniel needs, and what I desperately want, is a 6X6 M916 Freightliner tractor. They are really cool.

dm22630

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I think you will be able to pull it home empty but they are heavy. We used to put two M113's on them or four artillery guns even two dueces. It is amazing what you can do with a company of 120 trailers like this and 61 Tractors. It will be slow going up hill for sure.
It weighs 19,000 lbs empty......that is not much more than the enclosed cargo dual axle trailers that just sold. Wouldnt it be easier to pull empty since it isnt catching all the wind like those trailers do? :?

54reo said:
I am beginning to envy your collection. :wink:

Seriously, if you don't mind me asking, what did you have to give for it?
$1290.00 - high bid
$129.00 - buyers premium
$85.14 taxes

$1,504.14 Total

EO2NMCB

Can't speak of how a M818 will pull it. But they are heavy to pull, had a stack of two trls from CA to Mo with a 500 cat and it would pull me down on the hills. They do pull great, have to watch your turns with the tri axle. Smooth ride even when empty.

powerhouseduece

BKubu said:
Really what Daniel needs, and what I desperately want, is a 6X6 M916 Freightliner tractor. They are really cool.
and a CDL that way he can start his own delivery service. that way we can buy stuff from GL and he can drop it off in front of your house!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks