• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M872 warning

Csm Davis

I don't know if this is just the M872 or the M872A1 is included but I will be checking all M872 trailers are being scrapped, must mutilate because they have been rusting from the inside out and the military has had at least one catastrophic failure where the trailer broke in half. This is straight from DLA, as I said I will get more information after the 4th of July.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rustystud

I don't know if this is just the M872 or the M872A1 is included but I will be checking all M872 trailers are being scrapped, must mutilate because they have been rusting from the inside out and the military has had at least one catastrophic failure where the trailer broke in half. This is straight from DLA, as I said I will get more information after the 4th of July.

I was wondering about that. Fort Lewis has a couple and they all must be mutilated. The trailers all looked fine too.

NEIOWA

That was the story at Ft McCoy a couple months ago. They had a bunch that looked ok but are now gone from DLA yard.

Lot of good tires at least. Somewhere.

JDToumanian

What about the lighter M871 trailers? Any news on their status?
Those are older and I wouldn't think they'd be affected. I'm pretty sure the M871 has a regular C-channel or I-beam frame, whereas the M872 must have box-section members to be rusting from the inside out. Too bad, I like the M872 and had been on the lookout for one. I bet the rusting issue isn't that bad, it probably only happened to a few select trailers that were stored in a wet or salty environment, but because you can't inspect inside the frame members, they just decided to scrap them all.

Jon

rustystud

Those are older and I wouldn't think they'd be affected. I'm pretty sure the M871 has a regular C-channel or I-beam frame, whereas the M872 must have box-section members to be rusting from the inside out. Too bad, I like the M872 and had been on the lookout for one. I bet the rusting issue isn't that bad, it probably only happened to a few select trailers that were stored in a wet or salty environment, but because you can't inspect inside the frame members, they just decided to scrap them all.

Jon
To bad they did not build them like MAN built their bus frames. They used "box" channel framing and coated the insides and then filled them with some kind of "expanding" foam. You where "never" to cut or weld or drill on their frames without proper clearance from MAN. Those crazy frames lasted over a million miles ! We had busses that where repowered over 8 times ! We sold them to someone in Mexico. Last I heard they where still running.

DrillerSurplus

Thanks for the heads up! I bought one from Ft Lewis a couple of years ago that looks like new, but we haven't used it a lot. Plan to do a thorough inspection, but it would be great to have more details about the problem. I have a geologist's hammer with a sharp point and have used that to "inspect" water tanks for thin spots that are about to rust through.

I've seen some instruments-I think on GL- that can measure the thickness of metal using sonic. I don't know what thickness they are good for though. Anyone else have any ideas? I'd hate to drill 1/4" holes on 2' centers on a 40' trailer frame.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Very interesting... At least one must have gotten out alive. Just spotted one of these on FB in the "5 Ton and Up" group. For sale for $5250 in Elk City, Oaklahoma. I figured a quick check here was in order... Only slightly disappointed... :-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks