• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 carb issue

fslay0435

In working to fix some gremlins on my newly acquired M880, I replaced the fuel pump to solve a no-fuel issue. Now I have confirmed that with the new pump, fuel IS making it as far as the carburetor. However, I have to pour gas into the carburetor from a cup to keep it running.

I guess the carb is probably gunked up but I am not sure which type of kit to order? The local parts houses have several kits for the 76 Dodge with 318 and Carter carb. Which do I want?

Are the Carter 2-barrel carbs even worth rebuiding? Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

diesel583

If it hasn't been lost there is a tag on the top of the carb, this is the number to take to the parts house. I've run both the stock carb and a holley. Stock is less trouble in the long run

sf38a1

I rebuilt mine, only to have more vaccum issues with it . it would idle but as soon as I went to give it gas it stalled. Ended up on buying a new one from the parts house. which I 'm glad I did, the one that was on the truck was the wrong carb anyway, seems it was changed with a later model. Nice thing about a new carb, it works great , with very little adjustment. and I know its right

sf38a1

No I dont, but I can find out. I went to a reputable parts house. If you know the guys there they should be able to get the correct one. Holly , carter , there all the same when it comes to the 2 barrels , as long as it the correct one for your vehicle. Use to be the hot rod guys like the carters simply cause they could sit for a long time , between shows ,and the gaskets would dry out and leak like the hollys. But I had Hollys on my M715 and M725 , and they sat for long periods and I didn't have any problems. Just my 2 cents
Im thinking it was .$150 . for the carb. a kit was $25-30. I bought the kit first , but ended up haveing to buy a carb any way. ..

fslay0435

Well I went out and found the tag on the carb. Has an 8121S on it, so I call up a friend of mine and I'm looking at around $90 total parts and all for a complete strip down, cleaning, and rebuild of the carb.

Sure wish I could find a cheap 4-barrel intake and carb, tho.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I went out and found the tag on the carb. Has an 8121S on it, so I call up a friend of mine and I'm looking at around $90 total parts and all for a complete strip down, cleaning, and rebuild of the carb.

Sure wish I could find a cheap 4-barrel intake and carb, tho.
The ports in the heads are so small that a 4 barrel & intake wouldn't make much difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks