• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Dana 44 axle shaft nut

Dave_1972

I had to heat up my passenger side axle shaft nut on my Front Dana 44 until it glowed orange before the %$#$ thing would budge. Now I don't know that I trust the steel after being that hot (it has that gray color to it which makes me think I may have normalized it). Does anyone know of a source for that castle nut? I am having trouble finding it on Rock Auto, Napa, etc.

Last edited:

Dave_1972

TM 9-2320-266-24P lists the Mopar part # as 1791714
http://www.valleytruckcenter.net/inventory.htm shows they have 3 of them.
Thanks Bob, turns out a friend of mine had a civvie W200 sitting in his hayfield for the last decade or so. The axle shaft nut on it came off normally. Not sure why mine was froze up so bad.

By the way - I'd like to do a brake job while I have eveything apart but I don't want to replace the bearings on my drivers side (they were replaced last year) - so I don't want to pull that bearing off. Can AutoBone or O'Reallys? turn these rotors with the bearing still on?

michigandon

Our passenger side axle nut also wouldn't come off and I had to heat the bejeezus out of it. Not only did I end up stripping the nut itself, but also the threads on the outer axle shaft as well. Shoulda just bought one of Bob H's rebuilt axles. It would have saved us a LOT of heartache and sorrow in the long run.

By the way - I'd like to do a brake job while I have eveything apart but I don't want to replace the bearings on my drivers side (they were replaced last year) - so I don't want to pull that bearing off. Can AutoBone or O'Reallys? turn these rotors with the bearing still on?
Every place I went to said that the studs needed to be pressed out, and the rotors removed from the hubs. I ended up buying a pair of NOS hub/rotor assy's from eBay. I still have our original hubs. I filed them in the "just in case" box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks