• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 lift

dodjh

Hi All, a week or so ago I put some run flat 36 X 12:50 X 16.5 Hummer tires on my stock '76' M 880. I also put 2"

spacers on all four axle lug nuts.

My rear tires don't rub but my front do...need more clearance. Would an additional spring on the front pick the body up

enough to prevent rubbing? I've had springs re-arched before and wasn't pleased with the result.

lostintexas

What are you doing when you rub? If you are getting any rub on the street you need at least 4" of lift if you are doing anything serious offroad. If you are staying on the street with occasional rub at full lock then 1" would probably do it with 2" being safe.

dodjh

Would I need to do the 2" on the rear also.

What type of 2" lift would you do, blocks, body lift rubbers or extra springs?

dodjh

The rub is happening when I turn the front tires. I notice yesterday there are vertical cuts in the fronts. There isn't a lot of clearance when they touch the fenders while turning.

lostintexas

Yeah, add-a-leafs will stop the rub when turning. If you are taking it offroad and flexing the truck you need list all around. Does the nose of you truck sag in the front? While I'm not a fan of body lifts that would be an inexpensive option too.

dodjh

My front leafs are 3 in total. How do you add a leaf to that and what position on the springs would it be placed? The longest is 4'.

Are you suggesting using body lift rubbers instead of leafs to lift it up from rubbing?

The rubbing is occurring mostly on driver front tire.

It does seem the nose is sagging in the front.

dodjh

I looked at a set of leaf springs not mounted on a truck. They look fairly flat...maybe 1 - 2" of rise from middle to each end. Is that about what you would expect

or should there be more? These haven't been used much...the sticker is still on them.

WVCB

Not spring related, but some of the front end sag on my W-200 was caused by the two rubber body mounts at the front rotting out. They were completely gone; front clip sitting right on the frame. I replaced all the body mount bushings with polyurethane. Noticeable difference.

dodjh

I will have to check mine...probably the same condition as yours were. I have added a leaf spring in the mean time but may get some more lift from the body mounts.

dodjh

On the front spring plate, there is a nut inboard but can't drive it through. Does it have a spring clip that has to be removed first?

The nut is off but not having much success on removing the bolt from the plate.

dodjh

How many springs would ya use to keep the front up? Needing 2" for the run flats, I have a bumper that weighs 350 to 400 pounds. Drill pipe, 2"

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the front spring plate, there is a nut inboard but can't drive it through. Does it have a spring clip that has to be removed first?

The nut is off but not having much success on removing the bolt from the plate.
Not sure what you're askin', the plate should lift off the studs once the nuts are removed.
IM002387.jpgIM002389.jpg
1st pic my plow truck - M884 with add a leaf
2nd pic an M880 series springs

dodjh

I'm not sure either....I need a spring lift to have c;clearance for a 12"50:16 X 12:50 X 16:5. I took a leaf from a set up from another 16.5

What do I do to gain the clearance from stock>?.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the add a leaf spring is about just as long as the main leaf. it is also arched, if you simply added a leaf of the same length as one of the shorter ones you would only gain the thickness of that leaf, basically just a spacer.

refer to picture #1 above, before that "add a leaf" the rubber stopper was almost touching the spring, so I gained nearly two inches

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks